Chapter 16

After the encounter with the virals in the long grass, Black Talon decided they should rest for what remained of the night. They sat by the edge of a forest.

That was my pack... And I saw them... He thought to himself, remembering the faces of Thorn Tooth and Fleet Claw. Why must I miss them so?

He missed the way they (and Razor Feather) used to greet him, back when times were better. He missed the way they would never fail to make him feel better when he was down. He missed the way they comforted him without even having to speak (whether that was intentional or not, he always felt calmer around them, because he knew: They had him, and he had them).

But things aren't like that anymore. They're gone. They're gone forever. Because I am worthless, because I am weak. I couldn't stop it from happening. How pathetic... No. What's truly pathetic is how you can never stop moping about them, how you never let go. You need to stop. STOP. I just want it all to stop...

But he knew it was hopeless. He couldn't magically change how he felt with a single thought. He missed them, and that was reality, because he allowed himself to get attached to them. And, with such emotional pain clouding his heart and mind, he would sometimes wonder: Was it worth it?

I got close to them, but it all ended in just a year... I know that nothing lasts forever, I know that all too well, but... I always believed it would last longer than that. I never even got to tell them goodbye. I never told them how much I appreciated them. I never told them—

'You okay?' Fern Foot asked, tilting his head at Black Talon. The dark raptor looked at him- they were the only ones awake. Everyone was peacefully exploring their dreams, except for them.

'I'm okay,' Black Talon lied.

'You sure don't look it,' Fern Foot said. Black Talon remained silent.

'Sorry,' He yawned. 'I can get a bit insensitive at night. Thoughts preventing you from sleeping?'

'Probably,' Black Talon said.

'Well, I know that thoughts can make things a bit harder. Don't worry, Black Talon. I have difficulty sleeping too,' He chuckled, quietly.

'Do you?'

'Yes. And I know that things will get better.'

'You don't know that.'

'But I do.'

Black Talon sighed- he didn't understand how others could think in such a way. It was as if they were completely unaware of what was happening, completely unaware of how ugly and cruel the world truly was. But, ignorance is bliss, and he could understand that if they wanted to remain so hopeful, they would have to remain ignorant of certain things. He would never dare become anything like that. He would always take the difficult truth over the beautiful lie.

The world was ugly, cruel, and sick. That was reality.

'Sometimes, I feel like Life is against me. That it gives me a false sense of hope, and takes it from me just when I think everything will be okay...' Black Talon murmured, looking up at the stars. He remembered. He felt lonely again. 'I miss my friends.'

Fern Foot listened carefully, with sympathy in his eyes.

'I understand... I miss my mate. But the world is not against you, Black Talon. And Life is not some sentient god bent on watching your turmoil with glee.'

'It certainly feels like that,' Black Talon admitted. 'I know that I'm being very irrational, but what else can I do?'

'You'll get through this, you'll see,' Fern Foot reassured. He reached out and petted Black Talon, who flinched in response.

Black Talon looked at Fern Foot as he drew back from him. He wasn't as bad as he had originally judged. He was still suspicious, after all, Fern Foot was a bit too nice to be real. But, he seemed a bit friendly and almost interesting.

'It's still a few hours before the sun comes up. We should at least try to get some shut-eye,' Fern Foot smiled. Black Talon looked at him silently for a moment, but then decided to get a certain something off his chest.

'I'm sorry for making you and everyone else go through the field like that... it was not a smart move, and I'm so sorry, I just couldn't think straight and I— '

'It's okay,' Fern Foot said.

'No, it's not. I'm truly sorry, I could have gotten everyone killed, all because I'm such a worthless, pathetic— '

'Shhh, Black Talon, don't worry. We all make mistakes. Now we really need to try get some sleep. And try not to be so hard on yourself.'

Black Talon nodded. Fern Foot gave him another smile, and burrowed his head into his wing.

Black Talon looked back up to the stars. Thinking. Pondering.