Chapter 5

Black Talon, as always, awoke before the other two. Even in pack life, he woke up before everyone else. Not that he enjoyed it, of course. It was lonely, waiting for the next raptor to wake up. But, he didn't complain much. Having his friends next to him, even when they were sleeping and silent, was pleasant. He enjoyed the aura that radiated from the ones he was close to- it was comforting.

He watched the other two as he scratched his head with a clawed foot. The air was crisp, and the forest, beautiful, but things were very off. Only once a minute could the sound of a bird be heard- and that sound was short, high-pitched, and subtle. A warning call.

Black Talon shut his eyes. He had heard that call before, at one point right before it happened all those years ago. That sound had never signalled good news. He quickly shook his head. He shouldn't be remembering such silly things now! It was all in the past, he still had his friends, and the last thing he needed was to cloud his judgement with the memory of his trauma. It was completely irrelevant, and he should not fear leaving the comfort of his cave because of the sound a bird made that just so happened to be the same sound he heard when that event played out.

If they don't wake up soon, I'll wake them up myself, He sighed, becoming impatient. He wanted to find Thorn Tooth. If he was all right, then they would all be together again. Even without the entire pack, Black Talon would be happy, because at least he had them. But, what if Thorn Tooth wasn't all right? The other two believed he was, but Black Talon?

I for one believe that Thorn Tooth is more likely either dead or infected rather than alive. But, I know he is strong, and quite smart too. He has a higher chance of survival than Razor Feather, so having hope wouldn't be so irrational after all...

He snorted, staring at Razor Feather and Fleet Claw. It was official- he had had enough of their lazy sleeping. Time to pull them out of their dreams.

He leaned over to Fleet Claw. He had never been good at waking others up, always for fear of getting his nose bitten by an angry raptor. Her face was peaceful, as if the virus had never existed, as if everything was still normal. Sighing, he slowly moved an arm to her reluctantly, and poked her. He flinched back instantly as her eye snapped open.

'Oh. Hello, Black Talon,' she smiled.

'Greetings, Fleet Claw. You okay?'

'Yeah. I just had a dream about the pack... everyone was there...'

There was an uncomfortable silence.

'Please, wake up Razor Feather.'

'Ha-ha, why?' Fleet Claw stretched out, feeling satisfying cracks creep around her limbs and back.

'...I am not very good at waking others up, as you can tell. Please, just do it.'

'Okay, sure!' She giggled, and lightly brushed Razor Feather's shoulder with her hand.

Razor Feather opened her eyes, blinking. 'Fleet Claw? Is something happening?'

'Black Talon wanted me to wake you up.'

'Huh,' she hauled herself up. 'You want to find Thorn Tooth or something?'

Black Talon nodded. 'We should get him back here as soon as possible- don't want him to be alone out there, do we?'

'Wow! You really are a softie!' Fleet Claw commented, and the two raptors burst out laughing.

Black Talon looked away in embarrassment. He was genuinely concerned about Thorn Tooth, after all.

'Okay, okay, we get it! Ha-ha, I actually care, how wonderful, now let's go,' He sighed, and stepped out of the cave, waiting for the others to calm down.