01.

Xander looked at the little brunette laying on his couch. He'd wrapped her in several blankets so she wouldn't get cold but turned on the heater just in case the blankets weren't enough. She was still dressed in her soaked school uniform.

The uniform reminded him of the elementary school a few blocks from his house. Xander thought it was best to leave it at that. He didn't want it to look like something it shouldn't.

Instead he got a few pieces of clothing that were left behind by his only nephew and left them beside her for when she woke up. He hadn't seen the little guy in a while. Xander imagined how tall he must have gotten. 

The little girl hadn't budged since Xander picked her up off his front porch. It was shocking to Xander that he found her there. After another boring day at work he hadn't expected something like this to happen.

There was never anything waiting at home for him. No home cooked meals. No lover or children. He didn't do anything fun or exiting either. Xander dreaded going home and the same went for his office. He hated being there. His boss was a talkative man and a pain in the ass. He would annoy Xander the most out of all the other employees.

Xander shook his head. It wasn't time to think about his boss. He had to figure out what to do with the girl that lay before him. Was she a child he didn't know he had?

The chances were little to none. Yet he couldn't figure out why she was in his house. Perhaps she was lost?

Xander got up and went into the kitchen. He needed a cup of hot chocolate - to clear his mind. It always helped him after a stressful day at work. Xander decided to leave all his questions until she'd woken up. Looking at his cup he wondered whether he should make an extra one. Just in case she wanted one. Xander got on to making the hot chocolates.

When he was just about done he heard movements in the living area. 'Has she woken up?' He thought. Using both hands he took up the freshly made hot chocolates. The little girl had edged herself in the corner of the couch. She held the blankets close and examined the unfamiliar surroundings.

When her eyes met Xander they widened from panic. He could only imagine the thoughts flowing through her head. Waking up in a strangers house would've had him panicking. Xander placed both cups of hot chocolate on the coffee table then backed away. Keeping a safe distance as to not frighten her any further. 

"W-Who are you?" She managed to say.

"I'm Xander," he introduced. "I'm not going to hurt you," he automatically threw his hands up in the air. Showing her that there was no chance of him hurting her. Xander could barely kill a fly for crying out loud. "You are?"

She looked at Xander. Was it wise to give him her name. She didn't know him or why she was here. "Why am I here?"

The man seemed taken back by the question. He didn't know what to make of it. "I'm not sure," he replied as gently as he could. "I found you on my front porch," Xander honestly said.

The events of earlier flooded her mind. She concluded why she was there. How and why it all happened. She remembered it all.

Xander watched as she gripped the blankets. He also noticed how she would occasionally glance at the cup of hot chocolate.

"Would you like one?" Xander asked, pointing at the cups. She hesitated then nodded. It made him feel like they were reaching somewhere. "I left some clothes for you," he pointed just to the right of her. "You can change into those if you want. They might be a bit too big. They're all I have."

She slowly got off the couch. Her eyes following him with every step she made. She took up the clothes and took a few extra steps behind the couch.

"Down the hall to your left," Xander instructed. She scurried off.

Xander let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. The situation was much more difficult to handle than he'd thought. When she got back he thought of asking for her parents contact information.

Xander straightened himself up when she entered the room. He gestured for her to take a cup which she did. It was time to get down to business.

"So umm...?" Xander questioned, wanting a name.

"Jessica," she replied, finally feeling it was time to give her name. "Aren't you going to have yours?"

Xander almost forgot he had a cup of his own. He took his but remained at a safe distance. "Umm... Jessica can you tell me why you were asleep on my front porch?"

"I was going home by myself since daddy was late in picking me up. While I was walking it started to rain."

Xander could figure the story from then on. She mentioned her dad. he could get in contact with him and inform him of his daughters whereabouts. The man must be worried sick. 

"Can I borrow your phone?" Jessica asked. It was like she read Xanders mind.

Xander fished his phone from his pocket and handed it to her. She started dialing her fathers contact details. Jessica stopped half way and took a note book from her bag then continued again. Xander watched as she did the task diligently. It made him wonder what kind of man her father was. 'A business man perhaps. A doctor even?'  He thought.

"Daddy," Jessica said, her voice more calm and gently. "I'm at...no I wanted to... yes."

Xander listened as he drank his cup of now warm chocolate. He didn't expect for Jessica to hand him the phone. Xander shakily put the cup back on the coffee table. As he pressed the phone against his ear he was instantly attacked with a series of apologies.  

"I'm so sorry for my daughter causing you so much trouble." The man didn't sound strict as Xander imagined.

"No, she wasn't a burden at all." Xander assured the man.

"Is she okay? Is she safe?"

"Your daughter is in safe hands," Xander said. "Neither I or anyone else will hurt her. You have my word."

The man let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you."

They exchanged a few more words and Xander gave him his address. "I'll be there as soon as I can," the man said before the line went dead.

'I wonder what he looks like'  Xander thought. 'What type of man could he be?' 

EDITED