06.

Xander left work early that day. On the way to the building he caught a glimpse of Richard. The man didn't seem to see him, he was too busy talking to the chief of accounting. Evidently the man had taken a liking to her.

Xander wasted no time. He was out the building and in the parking lot within seconds. He didn't want to be late in picking up Jessica. He recalled the little girl saying she hated being there after school. Xander would have to talk about that another time.

Xander stopped at the red light, taking the opportunity to let his mind wonder. His day was as good as he predicted. Besides Lisa going on and on about her wedding plans, his day went well. She also didn't fail to ask him about Ayden. Xander decided on asking the man about it when he comes to pick up Jessica.

The familiar piece of paper was still in his pocket. It gave him the extra boost he needed for today. Why wasn't he a father at this point? Xander knew exactly the reason.

Although his handsome features were noticeable, he was also simple and boring. Many girls wanted a dash of sugar and spice in their life. Something Xander didn't have. He barely went out to meet anyone and could hardly call his life interesting.

It was time for Xander to put a little more effort into his life. If he wanted a family, a child which he could dote on, he had to acknowledge the problem at hand. Xander pulled up in the schools parking lot. He scanned the area looking for Jessica. He saw the little brunette standing just to the side of the entrance, griping the strap to her backpack and searching the parking lot for Xander.

A huge smile formed on her face when she saw Xander waving in her direction. Jessica wasted no time in running over. Xander assisted her with her seat belt then got in the drivers seat. Xander thought of making conversation on the short ride home.

"How was your day?" He asked Jessica who was playing a game on his phone. She had borrowed it a few minutes ago and Xander had willingly given it to her. There wasn't much on his phone to begin with.

"Good" Jessica replied her eyes not leaving the screen.

"You left your drawing this morning" Xander said hoping to get a reaction from her.

Jessica only nodded and said. "I know. I left it so you could see it. Did you like it?" It was only then Jessica looked towards Xander.

So it was intentional after all. Xander replied. "Yes, I did" Jessica gave him  a huge smile. "You're quite talented"

Jessica went back to her game and both sat in silence for the rest of the ride home. Xander pulled up in the drive way. Upon entering the house Xander realized how the house didn't feel as empty as before. Usually when he got home the furniture's and dry painted walls greeted him. Now a warm and welcoming aura greeted him. 

Jessica went into the living area and Xander went upstairs into his bedroom. He placed the drawing in his top drawer along with a few other important things. Xander quickly changed into something more casually. When he arrived downstairs he grabbed a bottle of water.

Jessica sat on the sofa fiddling with her thumbs, which surprised him - he'd thought she'd already settled down and started watching TV. "Is something wrong?" Xander asked, sitting opposite of Jessica.

"Can I ask you something?" Jessica said. Xander noticed how unusually nervous she was.

He placed his bottle of water down. "Anything" Xander's voice was calm and assuring.

"Lin bought cookies today at school," Jessica said. Xander wondered where this was going. "I asked her for one and she said no. She said I was uncool and that daddy-" Jessica wiped away a tear. 

Xander didn't know what elementary school students where like these days. He was sure Lin was one of the many rude ones. She must have said some awful things about Ayden. Why would a child even say such things.  

Xander took a seat beside Jessica. Giving her a comforting hug. "I'm guessing you want me to make some cookies for you?"

Jessica nodded. "Please don't tell daddy," she muffled. Jessica pulled away and extended her pinky finger. "Pinky promise."

Even though Xander had made a pinky promise he wondered if it was okay to keep this a secret from Ayden. He is her father after all. If anything it sounded like Lin was picking on Jessica. 'If things get out of hand I'll have to bring Ayden into the matter" Xander concluded.

Xander excused himself. He remembered he had one of those books that had all kind of cookie recipes. It was stuffed away on the bookshelf. He bought it years ago but it would do .

Jessica and Xander scanned through all the possibilities. They concluded on simple chocolate chip cookies. Xander found a small apron that his nephew left behind in the kitchen. He had made Jessica change out of her uniform. Both dressed in an apron and different ingredients scattered on the counter. They took on the roles of bakers.

"Let's make the best chocolate chip cookies." 

EDITED