A Panic

I woke up with the worst pain spreading through me, my back was tight and I ached all over. It was then I realised that it must be starting, I was either going into labour, or dying.

I didn't want to think about what exactly was happening, so I decided to remain calm. I tried to breath in the way the nurse had told me to, but I couldn't seem to keep the pace going. I never realized how hard it would be, but as pain curses through me, breathing properly isn't my focus.

The pain then dies down slightly, and I feel like I should walk outside and get German.

I'd call for him, but my throat is burning, and I know my voice will not be heard.

I stumble from the bed and try to keep my balance as my centre of gravity isn't at it's finest.

I find this a more difficult task then I expected as I cling to everything I can and as I do I knock over the beside table and pull the duvet off the bed.

Once I realised that this wouldn't work, I decided to cling to the photo table instead, but this was a disasterous mistake, for as I did, my first real contraction hit.

As the pain surged through me, I stumbled sideways, dragging the photo table behind me causing all the frames to smash on the floor.

Before I could even worry about stepping on the glass though as I attempt to leave, the door crashes open. The hinges almost break as the door slams against the wall.

"Angie." pants German in the doorway, "What happened?"

I was breathing heavily as I said, "No time. Tealeaf heard the song and is on the way."

"You're..." he says his eyes bulging.

"Having a baby, like right now! Now help me move or today will be the day you die, forget tomorrow!"

German supports my weight and I put rather a lot of pressure on him. I can see he is struggling but so am I.

The pain hits again as the second contraction takes me down and I can't seem to move. 

"Get car ready, then come back." I cry through the pain.

German clearly doesn't want to leave me sitting on the stairs but I'm not giving him a choice.

"Get the car you idiot! I'll be fine here for two minutes!"

German is panicking as he runs down the stairs and grabs the keys and the nightbag. We have had the nightbag prepared for a week in case I had to go I to hospital and it seems now is the time to use it.

As the immense pain stops, I cling to the banister and gently begin to bring myself down the stairs.Giving birth is a lot harder then I had in mind.

I'd gotten to the bottom of the stairs by the time German had returned and when he saw me he almost died I swear.

"Angie! You could have fallen!" he cries as he runs up to help me.

"Well I didn't." I reply stubbornly.

"You are usually clumsy though, never mind with all the extra weight!"

I snap at him, "Can you yell at me later? I'm having a baby here!"

German sighs but keeps moving, "I know, I know. I'm sorry."

"No problem, but can we go?" I cry as I feel another contraction hit. The time between each of them is getting smaller and I realise that it means very soon I could have a baby in my arms.

As German got me in the car, his phone rang.

"Hello Vilu," he says as he runs around to get in the car, "This better be important."

I hear some murmurs but can't hear what she is saying.

"Okay, I'll come later."

More murmurs. I really wish I knew what she had said.

"Angie's in labour Violetta." German says down the phone, "I'll be there later, but I have to go."

German put down the phone and started the car.

"What was that all-"

I try to ask what's going on but before I can another contraction hits and I'm struck with intense pain.

This time it's worse then ever and I cry out.