Prologue

Third-person Hiccup:
"Okay, I shot a night fury," Hiccup said awkwardly. Once again, screwed up and now has the full angry attention of all the villagers of Berk. Stoick's face was beyond fury when he heard Hiccup, once again, hit a supposed 'night fury.' He grabbed his son by the gruff of his fur coat and started dragging him home. "It's not like the last few times, dad! I really actually hit it!" Hiccup started and struggled to point in the direction he saw the dragon fall as he continued, "It fell. Just off Raven Point, let's get a search party out there before it-".

"STOP!" Stoick yelled, letting go of his son. "Every time you step outside, disaster falls. Don't you see I have bigger problems here?" This made Hiccup flinched slightly, 'bigger than your own son?' He thought as Stoick continued to rant, "Winter is almost here, and I have an entire village to feed!" Hiccup, not able to respond to that, seriously mumbles louder than he meant, "between you and me, I think the village could do with a little less feeding, don't you think?" Those near moaned and touched their stomachs or glared at the runt while Stoick fumed again, "This isn't a joke, Hiccup! Why can't just stay home like your told!"

"Dad, I can't help it! When I see a dragon, I just have to". He motioned a neck-breaking gesture with his hands as he said, "kill it, you know? It's just... who I am, Dad".

"Oh," Stoick says, face palming, "you are many things Hiccup, but a dragon slayer? Is not one of them", Hiccup felt hurt by his father's words, "get back to the house" he then motioned to Gobber, his most trusted friend and village blacksmith, "and make sure he gets there."

* * *

"He never listens!"

"Uhu, runs in the family."

"And when he does its just with this, disappointed scowl like someone skimmed off all the meat in his sandwich," Hiccup then imitates Stoick as he continues, "Excuse me, barmaid! I believe you brought me the wrong offspring! I wanted an extra-large boy with beefy arms, extra guts, and glory on the side. This here", he motions to the floor as if there was a baby in a crib, "this is a talking fishbone!" It hurt Hiccup to say it out loud; however, it did also help relieve his anger.

Gobber, seeing how hurt Hiccup was, decided to try saying something helpful, "listen, Hiccup, It's not so much of what you look like. It's what's inside that he can't stand". Hiccup gave a 'your kidding, right?' Type of face, then went back to his trusty sarcasm, "Thank you, for, summing that up." Hiccup turns and opens the door as Gobber quickly added, "the point is, stop trying to be something you're not." Crestfallen and defeated, Hiccup turns quickly to Gobber and says, "I just want to be one of you guys," while thinking, 'I'll prove to you all that I took down a night fury!'

* * *
'I can kill dragons, I can kill dragons!', Hiccup thought to himself as he rose his dagger high over his head, 'I can do this, I HAVE to do this, I have to prove myself to the village and my father!', he glanced at the dragon's eye, he thought he could see... 'NO! I HAVE to do this!" Hiccup shook his head and closed his eyes. He heard a moaning sound and a thud, 'did the dragon just faint? Could he be as scared as... as for me?' His arms fell; he looked at the dragon and horror-filled him. "I did this," he mumbled out loud and stared at the trapped dragon. He was about just to leave the dragon, then stopped and turned back. 'I can't leave him like this...'. Then, Hiccup did the last thing a Viking would do... he cut the dragon loose.

* * *

"Remember, dragons will always," Gobber bent closer to Hiccup, "Always, go for the kill." Gobber pulled him to his feet and walked out of the arena. After getting home last night from letting the dragon lose, Stoick told Hiccup that he was starting dragon training today. Though he tried to dissuade him, Stoick made up his mind saying, "you must walk like us, and talk like us, and think like us, no more of..." he gestured to all of Hiccup, "this."