chapter 7

Hiccup:

Was it a good idea to tell Astrid where I'm staying? Would she bring anyone with her? Hiccup thought as he and Toothless returned to the cove. Toothless didn't like the idea of Astrid knowing where they were but didn't give Hiccup any death glares, which meant that he wasn't too angry about it. He planned to introduce her to Toothless and hopefully convince her that dragons are not dangerous. It was a great risk, but luckily she doesn't know who he is, and he could fly away on his dragon if things go sideways. It's worth any risks if I can convince at least one person.

Astrid:

That morning Gothi deemed Astrid well enough and sent back home. However, with each step she took, dread started to fill her as she slowly remembered why she was even in the woods in the first place. I almost forgot I need to have my parents call off the wedding!

When she reached her door, Astrid gave a huge sigh. I'm just going to tell them, then, whatever happens, happens. She reached her hand out to grab the door when she heard voices inside. Curiously, she put her ear to the door. Her face contorted in disgust when she heard the voice of Snotlout say her name. She couldn't hear anything else of the conversation, just her name. She stormed into her house and didn't even acknowledge the greetings of her foster mother, foster father, and Snotlout. She immediately went into her room and slammed the door. She sat on her bed and waited until she heard the door open and shut, meaning Snotlout had left. Even then, she waited until she was called, which she knew she was hoping to be.

A few minutes later, Astrid heard a light knock on her door. "Astrid?" The female voice of her mother called. Well, foster mother, her parents died when she was little from a dragon raid (I'll call her foster parents by mom or dad from now on because Foster Mom and Foster dad are a mouthful lol). She let herself inside and sat down at the edge of her bed. "Call off the wedding!" Astrid snapped abruptly. Her mom opened her mouth to respond when Astrid continued more calmly, "mother, I wouldn't be happy with Snotlout. He's rude, mean, and he thinks himself better than everyone else. He's only becoming chief because Hiccup had disappeared!" Her mother winced at the sound of the missing heir's name. "We all would have chosen Hiccup the Useless over Snotlout to be chief, but he possibly isn't even alive. And if he was, he's still an outcast unless Stoick says otherwise. Besides, this wedding is only, so the people get the chief they really want, you". At hearing her mother's words, Astrid seethed again, "then why not come straight out and ask me to be chief! If by some miracle someone appears claiming to be of the same bloodline as Stoick and has more of a chiefly like attitude, I'll happily marry them! Heck! I'd marry Hiccup if I had to!" With that said, Astrid got up and went to the door, "I'm taking a walk! I don't know when I'll be back, and don't bother looking for me". She opened the door to her room and slammed it on her mother, trying to fix what she said. The damage is already done, especially when you didn't call off this ridiculous wedding!

She peered down at the map. The rider drew for her. She followed the trail and passed the landmarks until she found herself looking down into a beautiful cove. She looked back at the map. This should be the place. She thought as she descends.

Hiccup:

She came this early!? Hiccup thought, surprised and nervously, as he heard her footsteps. "Toothless hide, I need her to see me first, so she doesn't just attack. I'll call you when I think she's ready to meet you", Toothless nodded and flew behind a giant boulder. Hiccup quickly put his helmet and cloak on, and just in time too. Astrid came storming towards him, seething mad like someone had just told her that Hiccup placed first in dragon training all over again. He took a few steps back with his hands up and motioned for her to sit on a fallen log. Glad I told Toothless to hide. He thought, relieved. Before he could ask her what was wrong, Astrid started, "I'm arranged to be married to Snotlout!" She threw her ax on the floor and sat in a fetal position. Then buried her head into her legs and started sobbing. Hiccup gulped. He'd never seen Astrid Hofferson cry before. No one has. The next thing she said surprised him even more than her showing a sign of weakness, "I wish Hiccup would come back!" He froze there, unable to process what she had just said. Why would anyone want me... ME, back? Especially Astrid? He was confused and almost asked his question, then stopped himself. Must keep up the appearance of being an outsider, he thought, then decided to take it safely, "who's Hiccup?" She lifted her head and looked at him with those gorgeous blue eyes tainted red from tears. "He was the useless son of the chief-."