Chapter 30

"Don't be such lazy asses, Lucinda is waiting for us!" I yelled over my shoulder. Alice and Loïc were behind me, tiringly pulling their suitcases, Paul far behind them and Jack was so far back, I had lost sight of him. But at least he actually knew the airport.

I arrived at the arrivals and spotted Lucinda somewhere in the crowd. Without a second thought, I ran to her and engulfed her in a hug, crushing in the folds of my thousand clothes. She let out a small huff before returning it.

"Well, six months and you already picked up on the French manners," she teased.

I released her. "Well, there are excellent teachers."

I backed away and realised Loïc and Alice had caught up with us. "Lucinda, this is Alice, my roommate. And this Loïc, my... uh, boyfriend. Kinda. Anyway. Guys this is Lucinda. And you all know Paul. And Jack."

After they were all acquainted, we directed ourselves to Lucinda's car and, luckily, Jack's mother was there too, so she could help us bring home our little companions. And Jack of course.

After it was settled who was going with whom, I sat in the passenger seat, Alice behind me. "And mom is at home?"

Lucinda nodded. "She wanted to come, but this morning she wasn't well enough. But she's eager to see you."

So was I, to be honest. It had been six long months. There had been phone calls and texts but she was distant and most of the time it was Lucinda who did the talking. She had however gladly accepted to host my friends, which had been a surprise.

As soon as Lucinda parked the car, I grabbed my things and jumped into the house. She was in the living room, livid which wasn't much of a surprise, but a smile broke onto her face when she saw me. Like I had done with Lucinda, I hugged her but she remained stiff despite her attempt to return my embrace.

Then came the presentations of Loïc, Paul and Alice. And then, I showed them their rooms. And then, after we were all sort of settled, the doorbell rang. I rushed downstairs to open it.

I swung the door open and came face to face with a smiling Ava. And not only her. There were all there; Ava (and Jamie of course) Jelena, Cherry, Linda and a few other girls from last year's cheerleading squad.

"That's just too much to handle," I exhaled.

"Nonsense," Ava replied, pushing me aside to enter the house.

"What are you all doing here?" I asked ad I embraced Jelena.

"Came to see you of course," said Linda.

"And the new French boy," Cherry added with a wink.

"Sorry to disappoint girls, but he's taken," Ava yelled from my living room which made the two girls laugh.

I heard Jelena yell, and without having to turn around, I knew it was because of Paul. I closed the door, a silly grin on my face and followed the girls inside.

-.-"

It was a relief to know that all your friends got along. Alice rapidly got sucked into the swirls of talk from Linda and Cherry before getting stuck next to Ava on the couch. After a few assessing glares, the latter smiled and conversation revived. Loïc was kindly sitting next to my mom, who accepted him pretty easily and he chatted casually with Jamie. And Paul,... well he couldn't get a word out before Jelena started saying something else.

"So dinner." Ava suddenly claimed. As usual, we all nodded at the keyword. "We have a reservation at the pizzeria next door. Who's in?" We all nodded. "Thought so. Let's roll out." She got up and headed towards the door, to which we soon followed.