↣ Chapter Two ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

H O T 

T E M P E R S

T E M P E R S

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

Everyone knew Magnus Bane. Unless of course, they lived under a rock, and then the only people or things they knew would be ants and worms, which didn't seem very fun. But Magnus Bane was famous in the Downworlder community. Everyone had heard his name at least once, and they knew of his magnificence. Downworlders went to Magnus Bane for help, and he gave them that help, for a fee of course.

People liked Magnus Bane. Now, of course, there were people who utterly despised him. You can't just rise to the top without someone trying to bring you down, but there Magnus sat, on his throne at the top of the crowd, with Downworlders idolising him left, right and center. But even though these people adored Magnus, they didn't know the real him. Just like most people don't know the real sides of Camila Cabello or Bruno Mars. People didn't know how he actually lived.

But there were those lucky few who got to see him at his most vulnerable moments. The Downworlders he had taken under his wing, or those friends he had kept for what felt like forever. These were the people who got to really know Magnus Bane, and they did feel lucky.

Magnus was a helper through and through, if someone had a problem, Magnus was sure to be there to lend a hand, especially for those people he trusted with more than just his life. People like Ragnor Fell, or, more importantly, Christopher Loss. Magnus gave the younger warlock a room in his own loft-like apartment, allowing him to eat his food, drink his drink, read his books.

Magnus was going to help Chris find Caroline.

But he had noticed the way that Chris drank at night, and the way he slept with downworlders of different sizes, gender and species, and the way he closed himself off. All of this was to get away from the darkest memories of his past, the ones that haunted him until he slept. But Magnus knew that if they wanted to find Caroline, Chris needed a clear head. He couldn't have his demons plaguing him forever, especially when someone he loved was missing.

"Christopher?" Chris felt himself shudder at the use of his name. Nobody had called him 'Christopher' in a long time, and it always made his stomach drop. There was a reason he didn't let anybody call him 'Christopher' anymore, and it was one that was very important to him.

"It's Chris," he replied, not meaning to be cold towards the older warlock. The mention of his real name unrelenting in his coldness, and the real him shuddered at the thought of the darkness that tried to consume him. Magnus raised his eyebrow at the warlock sitting across from him. Christopher was reading through one of Magnus' unique spellbooks, trying to find a spell that may help him find Caroline. Nothing was coming up.

"Yes, well, Chris-" still the 'teenager' continued reading the book. "- I think we need to talk about your nighttime activities," this, of course, caused Chris to look up, both of his eyebrows raised. His hands still clutched the spell book, as if that would will some sort of spell for Caroline to come leaping from its pages.

"My nighttime activities?" Magnus nodded. "What the fuck do you mean?"

"Bringing all sorts of people into your bed," stated Magnus, causing Chris to roll his eyes. He had only been staying with Magnus for a week now, but it was a week too long for Chris, who thought that by now he would have found Caroline. His unusual optimism had cut him straight to the bone again, and Chris sunk deeper into his comfortable armchair. Magnus did have really comfortable furniture, despite living in a rather big warehouse on an unused street.

"It's what I do," Chris told him. Maybe Catarina hadn't warned one of her best friends of her adopted sons habits, but Chris didn't think she needed to. What Chris did with himself was none of Magnus' business, and right now he needed it more than ever. He needed to get rid of his demons during the night, when everything was supposed to be calm and serene, and yet Chris' mind screamed of memories he tried so hard to forget. So he partied, and he drank, and he invited people over, and he didn't regret it. Because he didn't want to remember.

"There's nothing wrong with getting drunk and having sex, Chris, trust me, I've had my fair share of one-night stands," Chris merely rolled his eyes, fixating the blue irises on the Chthonian in the book on his lap. "But, you have an unhealthy habit, you use these people to forget, at least temporarily and I think-" but Chris was done with this conversation, he had more pressing matters at hand.

"I really don't care what you think, Magnus," snapped the younger warlock. Magnus watched Chris get to his feet, holding the spellbook under one arm and using his other hand to mess up his own, dirty blonde curls. Chris was beautiful, and tall, with shoulders like trees and a face that seemed to be carved by God himself. Well, that is if God was Michelangelo and Chris was David.

"Now, if you'll excuse me-" but Chris' politeness seemed more venom filled than anything. "-I need to find my sister!" and he flourished out of the room, the curtain swinging as he stormed past. Magnus watched him leave, clutching the glass of whiskey in his hand so hard that he was sure it was going to break. He had just realised that Chris had walls built up around him, and it was going to take a lot to reach through and break them down.

And if Magnus couldn't do that, well he wasn't sure if anybody could. 

A/N:

so, Chris really does have a short temper, oops. But don't worry he's going to meet Alec soon, I just want to really establish his relationship with different characters first and that might take another chapter or two. And also, Chris has secrets? Oaft, shocker!