↣ Chapter Ten ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

B I T T E R 

D I S A P P O I N T M E N T

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

Disappointment is a bitter thing. Parents feel it when their child doesn't perform as well in tasks as they want them too. Girlfriends feel it when their significant other doesn't make them orgasm like they used to. Teenagers feel disappointed in themselves when they don't manage to reach the grades they want to achieve. And disappointment was exactly what Chris was feeling when he woke up, alone, on the top of his bed still wearing his clothes from last night.

He raked his brain, trying to think when Alec left last night, but he couldn't find it. He remembered talking and laughing and drinking with him. He remembered seeing Alec's dark eyes light up, and his mouth stretch into a smile and his cheeks burn pink. He remembered the way he yawned as he stretched beside Chris, his back arching like a cat and a moan following the fluid movements. He remembered laughing, and calling the Shadowhunter cute.

But he didn't remember him leaving.

He didn't even remember going to sleep. But he felt more refreshed than he had in awhile, and after seeing the imprint of Alec's bed in the mattress, he felt himself grin. He wished that Alec had stayed, he wished he could have seen him wake up, with his hair a mess and the sunlight pouring over his features. But for now, that would all be a dream.

Chris was just glad that Alec had even stayed as long as he did. The stoic, straight-edged Alec had spent the night, and sure he had drank and talked and laughed, but would anyone believe him if he told them? Probably not.

At least Alec being there had kept those demons away from his mind for a while.

"He had to go back to the institute, but he hesitated for like an hour-" Chris raised his brow at Magnus, who was stood in his doorway. "-and then he went back, but Clary and Jace have gone to the precinct, apparently the cup is in Jocelyn's tarot cards."

Everything Magnus was saying was spinning around in Chris' head, it was too early for him to even begin to comprehend what was going on but he heard precinct and Alec and he knew he just wanted to see the Shadowhunter again. Everything kept pushing him back to Alec and all he wanted to do was see him again and again and again until the boy caved under his touch and let him kiss him.

A part of him was trying to stop him from getting out of the bed and going to the bathroom. That was the part of him that was wanting him to stay at Magnus' and pour over more and more and more spell books so that he could find Caroline. That part of him was trying to force Alec Lightwood out of his head so that he could focus on what had really brought him to New York in the first place.