↣ Chapter Nineteen ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

S H A D O W H U N T E R 

T R I A L 

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

The Institute always sent chills down Chris' neck now. Maybe it was because of how different it had been in the other universe, or maybe there was another reason, one that broke his heart. He didn't know. What he did know was, the chilling feeling from the Institute was nothing compared to the cold and calculating glare of the High Inquisitor.

He wondered why anyone would answer to her. She looked mean and ruthless, but maybe that's where her power came from. She spoke so harshly of Valentine, of his treason against the Clave, of the way he ruled the Circle members. But maybe she wasn't that different from him. She, too, was obviously prejudiced against Downrolders - like a lot of Shadowhunters before her - if the glare she had sent towards Magnus and Chris when they walked in with Isabelle was anything to go by.

Chris, from his seat beside Izzy, watched as Magnus got to his feet, quickly buttoning up his suit jacket and ruffling his hair. Chris couldn't help but smile lightly at the sight of the nervous Magnus. He wasn't nervous for himself, but for Izzy, who had paled beside Chris.

He stopped in front of the Silent Brother in charge of the trial. The Soul Sword hovered between them. Chris had never seen an instrument of death carved so beautifully. It had dulled considerably as it wasn't being used properly but it still shone. Deep cut rubies were built into the hilt, and it's handle looked a little like wings. It was the perfect sword for a Shadowhunter.

"Will I die if I touch it?" Downworlders never even got to see the Soul Sword up close before, let alone get the chance to touch it. Chris thought that Magnus should be more honoured. Maybe he was, but he hadn't said anything to Chris before as they had gotten ready for the trial together. Caroline had helped to pick their suits, while Catarina just sat on the couch watching Project Runway and eating all their popcorn.

"If you don't tell the truth." Chris gulped as the High Inquisitors smirk cut him through to the bone. Of course Magnus would tell the truth. He would tell the truth and save Izzy. But it still scared Chris. He didn't want to think about Magnus dying. Magnus sighed and took a hold of the handle of the sword, causing the beautiful ruby end to light up as if by some sort of magic.

"By the power of the sword-" started the Silent Brother, "-do you swear to defend your client with integrity and honesty?"

"No argument from me on that."

The Silent Brother nodded, and with an exhale of breath Magnus let go of the Soul Sword, sending a nervous glance to Chris. Chris grinned back at him, giving him a thumbs up. From his side, he heard Izzy let out a breath of laughter and relaxed himself. As long as Izzy could laugh then everything was okay.