Five

Emilia's POV

Over the next couple weeks, Ashton and I hang out almost every day. He has been walking with me to each of my classes or when I head to the library to either study or work. He would even wait for me after I left from my early shifts at the library to take me out to get lunch. The previous awkwardness that I used to feel when in his presence completely has slowly diminished. I am able to talk to him like I do with Julia, and Ashton teases me about it because now he can't get me to shut up.

With the help of Professor Ross and the assigned project for class, I have more of a reason to become real friends with Ashton than I did prior. Before, I didn't think much would come from this new friendship but now that we actually have to spend time together, I now know there's no getting away from it and I'm okay with that. Even though neither of us talked about being partners for the project, we just both assumed that we are. I think subconsciously he knew I wouldn't have been comfortable partnering up with anyone else but him. There have been very few instances when I have spoken to my fellow classmates, and I would have liked to keep it that way, but Ashton didn't give me much of a choice with his intrusive nature. I'm pretty sure if hadn't met him the day before Professor Ross announced the project I would have been on my way to my advisor to drop the hell out of the class.

Grabbing the elastic band from my wrist, I pull my dark hair and out of my face as I get ready for work. It's only noon, and I'm surprised by the small number of students who are lounging and studying in the library. Normally it's flooding with students stressing way too early in the semester, but it's quite peaceful today. Given the slow pace of work, I ask Finn—the student supervisor and my co-worker—to let me shelve books instead of working at the front desk. Since the library is practically empty and there are already two other student workers the front desk, Finn allows it.

As I place the books that were left scattered across one of the many empty tables back onto the bookshelf, my phone begins vibrating in my back pocket. I fumble with the phone until catching a glimpse of Ashton's name on the caller ID. I look around for Finn, checking for the clear before answering the call.

"Hello?" I whisper.

"Emmie!" Ashton yells, his voice sounding frantic. "Are you at work?"

Shushing and telling him to kindly lower the volume of his voice before my ear begins to bleed, I respond, "Yes. I thought you knew my work schedule by now seeing that you walk me here and constantly drop by to give me food." It's still hard to comprehend how comfortable we've become with one another. We can tease and crack jokes with one another and have fun with it. It has basically come to the point where Ashton and I can recite our favorite food orders to each other. "I've been meaning to ask you about that, are you trying to make me fat?" I tease.

"I was only trying to get some meat on those bones of yours," he jokes. "Have you seen your arms? They're like twigs!"

"Ha ha." Sarcasm drips off my tongue. "Why are you calling anyway?"

"My friend-slash-roommate needs some help finding a book for his history report or something like that. I told him you worked in the library and that you would be able to help him."

"Why would you tell him that? You know I'm not good at talking to people I don't know."

There are a few seconds of silence followed by a short giggle before Ashton's voice breaks through. "You really need to give yourself more credit, Emmie."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean when I was waiting for you to finish your shift last week, you had no problem talking to all the students that needed help. You even went above and beyond to gather each and every book that a girl needed to help with her dissertation. You're not only talking more to me but others as well," he explains.