Fourteen

Ashton's POV

Nothing can kill my mood today. Emmie agreed to go with me to the party on Saturday and I can't wipe this stupid smile off my face. Last semester, the party was extremely boring and the only thing that kept us entertained was when Calum got drunk off of champagne and tried talking to some business officials who weren't too pleased with his slurred speech and attempts to ask for an internship in 'working for the man.' He ended up getting kicked out which led to the rest of us leaving.

"Can you stop being such a lovesick puppy?" Michael says. "You're making my sick." He pretends to gag at my happy expression.

The smile drops from my face out of sheer embarrassment. "I'm not lovesick. I'm just...excited."

"Mate, that's a load of bull," Luke says, the other two nodding in agreement.

"Whatever," I mumble, waving them off. I'm not lovesick. Yes, I like Emmie, but I know nothing will come from it. I shake my head in an attempt to erase the thought so not to damper my mood.

"Isn't your dad going to be there this time?" Calum asks, completely killing my good mood.

Mood killer.

"Yes." Just the mention of my father irritates me. I try not to think about the fact that he's going to be there and that Emmie will have to meet him, but it's impossible. Last Friday, when he gave me the stupid invite, all I wanted to do was yell at him.

"Ashton," Dad called as I was about to pass through the classroom exit.

I didn't say anything; I walked to where he was standing behind his desk and pulling out a square sheet of cardstock. I knew what it was by the time I saw the paper. It looked exactly the same as last semester's and knowing that he wanted me to go again pissed me off.

"I'm hosting it this year, and I would like for you to come," he said.

"You're hosting?" I asked, befuddled. It wasn't abnormal of me to act so skeptical. Even though I don't know him that well since he left, I did know he hates having the spotlight on him, which is probably the reason why he didn't show up last semester. He was supposed to give a speech, but he ended up using the excuse of being sick to get out of it.

"There will be a lot of prestige officials this time," he said, completely avoiding my question. "You need to get an internship with one of them. You have a reputation to uphold."

"Why does my reputation matter to you?"

"You're an Irwin. You know that our family has worked in the business field for years."

I shook my head. "I don't consider us family. You left us without so much as a goodbye. I may have your last name, but that does not make us a family," I snapped.

He stared at me expressionless. This was one of the reasons why I hated him so much. He only cared about his name.

"I've already recommended you to some of the corporations so be sure to leave a good impression."

I bit the inside of my cheek so that I wouldn't end up screaming at him. As much as I didn't want to go, it was a good opportunity. I watched as he began to walk towards the exit before I called out to him.

"Can I bring guests?"

He stopped in his tracks, not even bothering to turn around.

"Will it be those friends that you brought last time?"

"Yes...and someone else."

His back was still to me, but he turned his head slightly to the side as if saying I'm listening. "Who would that be?"