Nineteen

Emilia's POV

My eyes unwillingly flutter open as I awaken. It's still completely dark in my room, and if I were to look outside the window, the sky would be just as dark. I reach my hand out to the night stand in search of my phone to check the time. When my hand doesn't come into contact with the device, I remember that my phone was in my purse that I left on the table back at the party. I mentally pray that one of the guys had picked it up before leaving to come over here. I remove the blanket from my body and just from that simple action I can feel how sore my body is. I guess trying to fight a guy who's probably twice your weight can do that to you.

I slide out of bed and walk over to the door and unlock it. There aren't any voices coming from the living room, so I assume everyone has left for the night. I open the door quietly, careful to not wake up Julia, and stop dead in my tracks before I step on a large object blocking the doorway. Looking down to the large mass, I notice it's was a body. Ashton is lying on his side, curled into a ball with a fleece blanket falling off his body, asleep.

He stayed.

I lean forward and look down the short hallway that leads into the living room. Even though it's dark, the moonlight shining from the window illuminates the room well enough for me to see. Luke and Calum are asleep on the pull-out couch while Michael's long body is hanging off the edge of the loveseat.

They all stayed.

The corners of my lips tug up into a smile at the heartening sight around me. I kneel down next to the boy blocking my path and observe his relaxed face. His mouth is partially open, emitting soft snores, and his messy, golden-brown hair is sticking out in every direction, covering his eyes. Gently, I brush my hand across his forehead, pushing the strands away from his eyes, careful not to wake him. I've never noticed how attractive Ashton is. I see him on a daily basis and yet, I never took the time to really study his features.

To think that a month ago, I didn't really want anything to do with this boy sleeping before me. I had wanted to push him away like I did with every other person who tried to get close to me out of defense. He was so persistent and almost too happy for my taste, but he grew on me. Deep in the back of my mind, I have always wanted someone who could break down the walls I built to protect myself, and he did it with such ease. He continues to be patient with me and waits for me to feel comfortable enough to open up to him. He's proven to be a real friend to me.

I stand up and go back to bed, not even bothering to close the door. I may not know the time and I should probably invest in a clock for my room, but I know that I still have a few more hours of sleep left. With my head lying on the soft pillow, I glance once more at Ashton before my eyelids fall shut.

___

It couldn't have been more than four hours before I wake up again. Even with waking up in the middle of the night, I still feel completely rested. I stretch out my arms and let out a long yawn before I realize there is sticky note attached to my face. I peel the note off from my forehead and read the message written on the bright green paper.

"Went home for a change of clothes. Be back soon."

Ashton had signed his name very sloppily, almost rushed, beneath his message. I shake my head amusingly at his childish way of informing me of where he went. I get out of bed and head to the bathroom where I take a shower and brush my teeth. It's difficult to look in the mirror because all I see is the deep purple bruise on my shoulder. It's a good thing that Jared didn't mark me on my neck because then I wouldn't be able to cover it with my shirt. After drying my hair until it's damp, I walk out into the kitchen where Julia is drinking her usual coffee.