Twenty-three

Song of the chapter: Only One In Color - Trapt

Ashton's POV

My gaze followed her slim body as she ran ahead of me, the wind blowing her long, chestnut curls behind her as she spun in circles and admired the various flowers and plants that encompassed the botanical gardens.

"Ash, this is beautiful!" Natalie said in awe, stopping in front of a large rose bush and inhaling the floral scent.

"I thought it would be a nice surprise for you." I said.

"Well, I'm definitely surprised." She giggled. "I love it!"

She went from section to section, looking at the variety of plants and soaking up their beauty. Although those flowers were nothing in comparison to her. She was the most beautiful thing in the garden. I couldn't keep my eyes off of her joyous expression and wide smile.

"Hey, Nat," I called. "I need to tell you something."

She jogged over to me, her smile never leaving her lovely face. "What's up?"

I took her hand in mine, intertwining our fingers together. "Natalie, I've known you my whole life, and I have cherished every moment with you," I said, and she blushed. "I will never do anything to hurt you, and I will protect you from any danger that may come your way. You make me so happy and I can't picture a day without you." I was sure she got the hint to where I was headed with my corny speech because her smile dropped and tears brimmed her eyes. I kneeled down on one knee and pulled out the little black box that sat uncomfortably in my pocket.

"I don't want to ever lose you, and I hope that you feel the same," I said. "I love you with all my heart and I can't picture my life without you. I want to be able to wake up and see your smiling face every morning. I want you to get after me every time I refuse to get out of bed and hit me with pillows like you used to when we were in high school whenever I was late for school."

She laughed and tears fell down her rosy cheeks.

"I want you to always be with me," I said, opening the box and revealing a silver band with a heart shaped diamond sitting in the middle and two pear cut diamonds on either side of it. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Natalie Rae Birchwood, will you marry me?"

The apples of her cheeks rose as she smiled down at me. Her expression was priceless. Complete and utter bliss encompassed her entire being. However, when I looked into her eyes, a glimmer of guilt shined before disappearing when she blinked.

"Ashton, of course I will," she choked out, sniffling. "I love you so much. I will always love you."

I couldn't be happier as I stood to my feet and wrapped my arms around my future bride, kissing her repeatedly on her head before placing my lips on her plump ones. I loved her so much, and I couldn't wait to officially make her mine.

__

Finals were over and all that meant was 'end of the year, we passed our classes' parties. Natalie and I had attended many parties in the past, but never as an engaged couple. It was a nice feeling to see other men back off of her when they took notice of the ring on her finger and quickly turned in the opposite direction. It did a better job than me glaring at the men who gawked at her.

I poured some beer into two red cups from the kitchen and handed one to Nat who downed the drink within seconds.

"Slow down there," I said. "You have all night to have fun, babe." I took her empty cup and gave her my full one. She nodded and took a small sip of the drink, scanning over the crowd of college students.