Thirty-two

Emilia's POV

Ashton's dad is a prick; nothing more, nothing less. I find it ridiculous how controlling he wants to be over Ash. When Nolan brought up the meeting that he scheduled for Ashton, I knew at that moment that he pushed Ash over his limit. The way Ashton shook me off and didn't want me to get involved was evidence enough to know that he was livid. I've only seen him enraged once before and that was when he confronted Jared for the restraining order. But I'm glad that he stood up for himself and said exactly what he needed to in order for his dad to get the hint through his thick head.

The day after seeing his dad, Ashton went to his advisor, while I was working in the library, to discuss and make the proper accommodations to switch his major from business and marketing to liberal arts—specifically visual arts. He now has to go to the Nagel Art Studio building to speak with a new advisor and create a new degree plan.

By doing so, it will push his expected graduation date back a couple years but it doesn't matter to him. He is getting his way and pursuing something that he finds pleasure in. I may not have seen all of his artwork and I hope that he shares more with me one day, but even with the disturbing paintings that I had the opportunity to view, I know that he can succeed in becoming an artist.

Ash told me that after he left from seeing his advisor in the business department, he and his dad ran into one another. His dad didn't say anything to him and brushed him off as another insignificant student. I'm not surprised that his dad basically disowned him after what happened. He went against his word and stood up for himself, and whether or not his dad would be pleased with his decision didn't matter to Ashton.

I know that Ash was unhappy with his previous career path and I would rather him be happy with a job that he finds enjoyment in, rather than suffer with one that would slowly kill him from the inside out.

He has always told me that he is proud of me for battling my demons and now I can say that I am so proud of him for proving to his dad, and most importantly to himself, that he can be his own person and not let anyone control his life no matter what long-term effects may occur because of his choices.

Now that Ashton's issues with his dad are over and done with, everything has gone back to normal; a drama-less lifestyle. The only issue now are the three failing marks on my trigonometry quizzes from last week that mock me as I stare at the unsatisfactory grade. I don't dare tell Ashton about it because I know damn well that he'll scold me for not going to see Luke yet for tutoring. I know I need to see Luke, but my pride is keeping me from asking for help even though I promised Ash that I would let Luke tutor me.

I shove the papers inside my backpack and zip it up before placing the bag in one of the storage cabinets behind the front desk of the library. Ashton left not too long ago to go buy us some drinks from the bookstore, but I'm actually glad that he isn't here right now. Mother Nature decided to make an appearance during my history class earlier, and I accidentally snapped at Michael when he asked me to help him dye his hair this weekend. I didn't mean to yell at him and say "fucking do it yourself" but I apologized and agreed to help.

I forgot to take a couple days worth of my birth control which completely screwed up my cycle, so instead of having absolutely no period and no symptoms of it, I have to experience the unpleasant pain that I haven't felt in so long until everything regulates once again.

Working right now doesn't help at all, especially since Finn is making me run around the entire library to put away books that have been scattered about away. I'd rather do something else like sit and work the front desk or just lay on one of the tables and curl up into a ball, but neither of those are an option. Fucking Finn and his superiority over my job duties.