"I Want To See Her"

"What?!" I snap into the phone, not bothering to check who's calling. I've been in meetings all day, I just wanted to enjoy a hot shower but my phone is ringing non-stop.

"Why the fuck haven't you answered your phone?!?" Isaiah yells. "I've been calling you for hours."

"I've been in meetings all day and forgot my phone at the hotel." I explain as someone knocks on the door. "Also, I'm not in the mood to have you yelling at me, so tone it down."

"Tone it down?" I open the hotel door and see my bodyguard Samuel with a grim look on his face.

"Is that Mr. Hunt?" Is all he asks.

"Yes?" I'm curious how he knows that.

He simply gives me a sharp nod before walking away.

"Cameron, it's an emergency." Isaiah's stern voice comes through the phone, wavering slightly. I immediately know something has happened. This is his 'I have crushing news' tone. The tone he's uses when he's about to tell a parent theses nothing he can do for their child.

My stomach flips. "What happened?"

"I'm here at Hopkins." That doesn't surprise me, he works there. What he says next has my world flying off its damn axel. "Mia was in an accident."

The rest of Isaiah's words sound muffled as a sharp ringing fills my ears. My phone falls from my hands and clatters to the floor.

Without grabbing anything I rush out of the hotel room. In my rush, I slam into Samuel.

"Samuel." My mind is running a mile a minute and I'm unable to form a sentence.

"There's a car waiting for you downstairs." A sadness I've never seen before in his eyes has me running.

_____

The elevator ride to the fifth floor of Hopkins hospital was the longest forty-five seconds of my life. When the doors open, I practically sprint down the hall toward the private rooms. It feels like the white walls are closing in on me as I find Lia and I's family; each person wearing a somber look on their face.

Xander sees me first. "Dad." His face is red and his eyes swollen, the reality of what's happening hits me hard.

"Cameron," Meghan breathes, she looks like she hasn't slept for days. Isaiah is holding her, the grave look on his face does nothing to encourage me.

"What happened?" My voice comes out as a whisper.

"A drunk ran the red light at the Clemins intersection." Isaiah tells me, holding his wife closer as she starts crying. "T-boned her."

"I want to see her." My voice cracks.

Xander sighs and drags his hand through his hair. "The emergency doctor won't let us see her."

Suddenly, three doctors exit the room and make their way towards me. Two male doctors, who I've never seen before, followed by Doctor Kingsley.

"Mr. James?" The older male doctor asks. "Can I speak to you privately?"

"Cameron." Lia's father John speaks up while Meghan glares at me, through her tears.

"Here is fine."

"Very well," He nods, looking at me. "I am Doctor Thompson, I'm the head trauma doctor here. This-" He points to the young doctor on his right. "Is Doctor Percy, he's our head neurologist."

Neurologist? And why is Kingsley here?

"Your wife has multiple cuts and bruises and a sprained wrist, nothing life-threatening. What concerns me the most is the head injury she's received."

He continues speaking before I can process what he says.

"I'm going to turn the case over to Doctor Percy." He hands the file in his hand off the other doctor. "Excuse me."

"As Doctor Thompson said, your wife's head injuries are our main concern."

Percy picks up where Thompson left off.

"It seems as though your wife's head was slammed into the window. I've managed to control the swelling but unfortunately-"

Unfortunately? They literally just told me there was nothing life-threatening wrong with Lia and now...

"-coma. It's impossible to say how long this will last. It could be a few hours... She could never-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence." Meghan jumps from her seat, throwing Isaiah's arms off of her. Isaiah grabs her before she can tackle Doctor Percy.

"Megs stop."

"No," Meghan kicks at Isaiah's shins like a banshee as he lifts her up. "She's going to wake up."

Doctor Percy blinks then glances back at me.

"I'll come back in a few hours if you don't have any questions."

I nod, my eyes focusing on Doctor Kingsley. Why is she up here?

"Mr. James, Amelia-"

"Stop talking." Meghan's calmed down and is now standing beside me. "I'll tell him." She looks straight into my eyes and her frown wobbles.

My chest aches as I realize what she's about to say.

"Mia was pregnant."

Everyone gasps and a pitiful 'no' leaves my mouth. My hands move to my head as I frantically tug on my hair.

"Is." Doctor Kingsley interjects. "Amelia is pregnant."

"What?" A breathy gasp leaves my throat.

"The fetus has a strong heartbeat and there seems to be no sign of distress. Honestly, it a miracle, trauma like what your wife went through usually compromises the fetus."

Kingsley gives me a sympathetic look before stepping to the side. "You can go see her if you'd like. But just one person at a time."

When her sentence ends, I rush past her. Along the hallway, there's a one-way mirror allowing me to look into the room. I don't take time to look at Lia as I run into the room.

I'm frozen when I enter the room. My wife, the love of my life, lies on the bed. Her pale body is hooked to different machines as her heart beats steadily.

Her steady heartbeat calms me. Her heart is beating, she's breathing, she's alive.

"Hey, baby," I sit in the chair next to the bed. "It's me."

I laugh at myself; I sound like an idiot.

"I'm sorry I'm just getting here, I came as fast as I could." Before I can stop it, my hand comes out and rests on her torso. "Why didn't you tell me?"

My thoughts go back to yesterday morning, the secret smile she wore when I suggested another baby.

"You're going to be okay."

I don't know if I'm reassuring myself, my unconscious wife, or our unborn child.

"You'll wake up and everything will be okay."

Gently, I take her hand in mine. After pulling the chair forward, I rest my head on the bed.

Slowly, my eyes flutter closed as I listen to the sound of Lia's heartbeat.

***
Chapter One!!!

What do we think?

Please, please, please comment, vote, and share.

Question: Any Marvel fans? Who's your favorite hero and favorite villain? Marvel or not.
I'm team Captain America and Loki is my love. Also, Wonder Woman is my queen! 😂

Ps. I've had a few people tell me the end of 'After Five Years' was disappointing and the more I think about it, the more I agree. So, I've decided I will eventually write one more chapter for Isaiah and Meghan. I don't know when I'll post it but I'll let you all know!

P.S.S. Also, I was made aware today that 'After Five Years' is ranked #220 in Romance! You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for reading!