"Meghan's Friend"

"What was it like at first when you adopted the kids?" Amelia asks, breaking the silence at the dining table.

And I'm glad for it, hearing nothing but silverware clattering on a plate and yourself chew is enough to make someone go completely mad.

"It was both my best dream and worst nightmare realized." I tell her honestly, looking into her eyes. "You were finally here and I knew you wouldn't leave, but then I was stuck having you next to me and never being able to call you mine."

"Cameron, I don't understand why you doing this. I'm grateful!" She quickly adds and I smile, continuing to tighten the screw to the small princess bed. "But adopting three children?"

Because I love you and this is the only way I know how to tell you.

"It's gets lonely." I give a non-committal shrug right before moving to the next screw.

"When it gets lonely," She starts softly. "You get a dog, not three kids."

"But kids are going to be so much more interesting." I smile at her, setting down the screwdriver. "In all seriousness though, I understand this isn't a joke, and I'm responsible for three lives but..." I try to think of how to word what I have to say. This was not a snap decision, it's something I have carefully considered these past few months. "I'm ready to be a father. I've been thinking about kids for awhile now but I just haven't found the right woman," or the right woman doesn't love me back but that's not the point. "And these kids, they've gone through so much, I think they deserve everything I can give them."

Amelia, who's been resting next to me on her knees, launches into my arms and I fall back onto my case of tools I had been using to put Zoey's bed together.

Something stabs into my back but I hardly feel it. All I feel is the weight of her body on top of mine as her arms move to wrap around my neck.

"Thank you." She whispers, her breath sending heat from my ear to every inch of my body.

The sweet scent of peaches plays with senses as every cell in my body becomes electrified.
Every nerve is on high alert taking in the feel of her.

One specific part of me starts to become more alert then the set of me and I nearly throw Amelia off of me.

"I'm so sorry." She flushes and I feel like shit embarrassing her but I need to do something before I ruin what friendship we have now. "I'm just so happy. I didn't mean to jump you."

"You're fine." My voice sounds hoarse to my ears and I pray to God she doesn't notice. "Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about something."

She becomes serious, nodding. "Okay."

"The kids are legally mine." I pause and she nods solemnly. "But I want you to be a part of the parenting. I would like it to be fifty-fifty if you want that."

"Seriously?" She questions, wide eyed and I worry I've said the wrong thing. "Yes please!" She grins, suddenly attacking me again.

_____

By the time I had given the kids a tour of the house, and Amelia got them ready for bed last night, it was late.

This morning I woke up from a restless night to the smell of bacon.

When I walked into the kitchen and found Amelia cooking, I just had to stare. She was so focused looking back and forth from the food she was making to Ryder in the high chair she didn't notice me.

"I don't remember the last home cooked meal I had." I mutter, stepping into the kitchen.

She jumps slightly. "I'm sorry! I hope it's okay."