"Make An Appointment"

"We need to talk." Seventeen-year-old Amelia rushes into my new office.

I take a moment to look at her. God, she's beautiful. Anger replaces my admiration when the scene from two days ago comes to mind.

I had asked her to meet me, to tell me if I had any hope. She came but brought Ryan along with her.

Standing, I straighten my suit jacket, buttoning it before walking towards her.

"You'll need to make an appointment."

"Oh." She hesitates. "Well, I can wait or come back later if you're heading to a meeting."

"You'll need to speak with my PA, but I'm pretty sure I have some openings at the end of August."

Now I'm just being cruel.

She laughs the most beautiful laugh, and it takes everything in me to keep a blank face.

Her laughter slowly dies, and her smile fades.

"Wait, you're serious?"

"I don't have time for jokes," I point at all the paperwork on my desk. "As you can see, I'm quite busy."

"Yeah," She nods, frowning. "I can see. Um, okay then, goodbye Cameron."

"Amelia." I nod back, before turning to look out the window. Moments later my office door slams.

Amelia won't meet my eyes. She's sitting in the bed, fiddling with her rings, refusing to put them on. I, on the other hand, sit uncomfortably far in a chair across the room.

"Amelia, please," I just need her to look at me, I need to see her eyes. Her gaze shifts, moving from the rings to the fetal monitor.

"Mia?" Meghan, who's lying in bed with my wife, tries to grab her attention.

Her line of vision moves from the monitor to me. When I said wanted her to look at me, to see her eyes, this isn't what I wanted. I wanted to see her blue eyes sparkling, not red-rimmed and full of tears.

"Baby," My voice shakes, as does her head.

"Don't." She whispers softly, going back to fiddling with her rings.

"Mia, hun, you need to talk. Tell us what you're feeling."

"We're married?" Her eyes return to mine, and I nod. "But-" She sighs looking confused. "I want to talk to Ryan."

"No." I say too quickly, and her eyes fill with hurt. "Amelia,"

"I need to talk to Ryan. Go find him, please!" Her eyes fill with tears.

"I'll go get him." Meghan starts to stand from the bed, but Lia grabs her arm wide-eyed and frantic.

"Don't leave me alone."

Meghan curiously glances at me. "You're not alone? Cameron is right there."

They must start with their weird eye communication thing because Meghan's eyes start twitching slightly and rolling.

"Fine," Meghan says suddenly. "Cameron, go get Ryan."

"I'm not-"

"Now."

"Mr. James, I feel it would be best to let Mrs. Hunt control the situation. Your wife seems easily calmed by her."

"We're going in there together." Meghan grabs onto my arm. "Just follow my lead, or you'll freak her out."

"Fine." I glare at her, standing from my chair and stalking to the door. When I open it, I see Johnathan, Isaiah, and Ryan all waiting.

"She wants you."

He looks surprised. "Why?"

"Just get the fuck in here!" I whisper sharply, hoping Lia didn't hear.

When I lean back into the room, Meghan frowns at me. "She's talking to him alone."

My response is instant. "Absolutely not."

"Cameron," My name slips from Amelia's lips, and my heart jumps. "I want to talk to Ryan; then we can talk together, please."

"Meghan stays here." I walk out of the room making sure to check Ryan's shoulder on the way out.

The private waiting room is empty except for Amelia's parents.

"Cameron, my boy," John grins at me, slowly standing with the help of his black cane. "How's my little girl?" He asks pulling me into a hug, firmly patting my back.

"She, uh," A distressed chuckle escapes me, as I pull away, sitting. "She doesn't remember me... or the kids."

"She will," He sighs deeply. "She will."

"Are you worried?" I ask him genuinely curious. John has a calmer personality than I do, by far.

"Honey," Anne smiles at me. "Everything will be confusing right now for everyone, but one thing we all know for sure is that Amelia loves you. Should she not remember you,"

"No." I start shaking my head. "She'll remember us."

"But if not," John starts, but his wife interrupts him.

"If not, I'm sure you will quickly woo her again."

The word woo causes a chuckle to rumble through me.

Yeah, I wooed her. With adoptions, secret hospital payments, and drunken ramblings.

The door to Amelia's room suddenly opens, slamming moments later.

"Damn it!" Ryan roars. He picks a decorative potted plant and chucks it against the wall.

I can't hold back my smirk, his talk with Amelia must not have gone well.

Faint sobs quietly fill the floor. I'm instantly on my feet, pinning a frantic looking Ryan with my glare.

"Take care of her."

His words should offend me, but they don't, it's like he's saying goodbye.

Not responding, I make my way into Lia's room.

Meghan has her arms around my shaking wife, comforting her. "Shh."

Without thought, my feet take me to her bed, my hand gently going to her back.

Jerking away, she turns to face me with puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks.

"Amelia..."

"Mommy!" 

***

These past three weeks have been absolute craziness, I'm sorry for taking so long to update!

Please comment and let me know what you think!

Does anyone have any predictions on how this story is going to play out??