•21•

William Moore

My palms are sweating profusely

I pat them on my sweatpants, hoping the polyester or nylon or whatever the fuck this material is will absorb my sweat. I hesitate before opening Coach Wallace's office door.

When I walk in he's sitting on his spinny chair, his crossed legs resting on his desk. When he glances up at me he clears his throat, pulling on his glasses.

"Hey, William- How you doing son?" He says this all slowly, his voice soft and careful.

"Hey," I reply awkwardly, closing the door behind me. "Um, good."

He ushers me over to sit on the chair across from him, and I sit down unsure. I gulp nervously, and I hope he can't tell how nerve-wracking this all is for me.

"We won the champions." Coach says, "Thank you for bringing us there."

"Yeah- but I didn't even play," I say with a monotone voice, annoyance laced in it.

"But you carried us there." He sighs and brings his legs back to the ground, adjusting himself so he's looking right into my eyes. "I'm sorry I didn't help you."

I shake my head, "You couldn't have done anything."

"But I saw the signs, I saw the proof." He strokes his five o'clock shadow nervously. "You know Will. I've had this job for a while."

"Mhmm."

"And I've seen boys just like you. So determined to be the best that they do the most extreme things possible. Sometimes it was steroids, Adderall, sometimes it was things like you too. Boys spending way too much at the gym. Boys eating an amount of food that could support a toddler. I mean it's not that coaches are ignorant to all that. You think Coach Park doesn't know what his wrestlers do. But it's always been part of the sport. The trauma has always part of the sport. It's all so competitive, And that has got to change."

I don't know how to respond, and instead, I stare down at my lap, silence echoing in the small room.

"If you're up to it, and healthy enough. Spring and Summer training is coming up soon. You'll have to prepare for that physically but-" He stops. "A scout approached me about inviting you to Mount Georges Acadamy."

"Acadamy?"

"It's a summer football camp. It's grueling and extremely tough- but you'll be traveling a lot, and playing tournaments."

"And I have a scholarship?"

"Yes." Coach beams, but suddenly his smile collapses. "But I don't recommend going until your illness is recovered. The camp is aware of your hospital stay- but it's important you do whats right for you and your body. Next season's football will be open for you. Okay?"