XII. Home

The very next day, I was finally released from the hospital. It felt amazing to be able to get up and walk around freely without being confined to a small hospital room. Even more importantly, I now had the support of my three best friends who would stick with me through thick and thin. I love them, and they love me.

I talked to Spencer over the phone after everyone else had left except for Ezra, who stayed with me at the hospital, sleeping on the couch. She apologized for acting the way she did when she visited me and I confessed to everything that had happened in the last couple days. She said that she was, in fact, happy for me and she was happy that I was with Ezra who, high school English teacher or not, was undoubtedly an amazing person and would make a fantastic father.

Ezra drove me to my house to get some of the essentials I would need if I was to be staying in a hotel room for who knows how long. I was released a day early from the hospital, and Ezra wanted me to stay with him. I originally wanted to surprise my mom, but he won my heart over with the promise of take-out.

As we approached my doorstep, I pulled out my keys and subconsciously reached back to hold Ezra's hand. He noticed this and sped up a bit to be alongside me as we walked into my home. He held my hand and I slid the keys into the keyhole and turned the doorknob that led into my house.

It was dark, and all of my mom's things were gone. Mike had left more than a few things behind, but I think he could live without them for a few days. My heels clicked on the hardwood floors as I walked to the stairs.

"I'll be right back, okay?" I said as I looked back at Ezra.

"I'll be here, babe." He replied as he leaned in to kiss me. We kissed and I went up the stairs to my room to grab a bag of my essentials.

Ezra, however, did not stay put like he told me he would and began to walk into the kitchen.

.,.

Ezra's POV (Point of View):

As I walked into my fiancé's family kitchen, I was hit hard with a raw, meaty stench. I followed it and what I found made me feel both disgusted and enraged.

There, on the counter, was a raw pig's heart. It was still covered in blood and had a handwritten note beside it on the marble countertop. I picked it up, and I read it. This is what the note said:

"Home is where the heArt is. Don't forget that, bitch.

Kisses -A"

As I finished reading, I grew so angry I could scream. I slammed the note down onto the table and pulled out my phone. I typed her phone number into the keypad and I could feel my face turn red with anger as it rang. As I heard her voice on the other end, I wanted so badly to scream at her. I thought that we had worked this out the other day.

"Hello?" She said. She obviously knew who it was, as I could tell by the way she greeted me. I wanted to throw my phone onto the floor and watch it shatter into a thousand pieces.

"Cut the crap, Mona." I began, my hands shaking with anger. "This needs to stop. Now."

"You agreed to join the team." She replied, heartlessly and coldly. She was about as eleemosynary as a snake. "I'm just here to make sure you follow through with your task."

"Yes Mona, I did. But that was before I knew that I had to start thinking of people besides myself. I love her, Mona, and I will not let you, the Team or that bitch behind all this ruin that." I said. I had to really hold myself from yelling into the phone, and it really made me angry that she had the nerve to say such things in an anonymous note. She was sick, cruel and heartless: just the kind of person that the Team wanted for the job. I don't even remember why exactly I became entangled in this mess of deceit and malicious intent, but I knew that I wanted out. And I thought that I had made that quite clear the last time she and I spoke, which was the day after Aria told me that she was carrying my child.