Just A Spark {2}

“Rio?”

                I could feel someone shaking me and let out a grunt, pulling my pillow over my head. I felt my pillow being yanked away from me yet again and forced my eyes open, fixing a glare on my mom.

                “Are we going to make a habit out of stealing my pillow away from me while waking me up?” I asked.

                “I’m sorry,” she said, looking honestly apologetic. “Your father and I both have business meetings. I’ll be home around two. But until then…can you please keep an eye on Hank? He’s already awake.”

                “Sure,” I said, kicking my covers off and forcing myself out of bed.

                “Thank you so much Rio,” mom said gratefully.

                “Yea, no problem,” I said, stretching.

                I followed her out to the living room, where Hank was sitting on the couch watching TV. Mom offered him a smile.

                “Hank, you and Rio can hang out together today,” she said brightly.

                “I don’t want to,” he said without looking over at me.

                “Sucks to suck. You’re stuck with me,” I said.

                He glared at me. “You’re obnoxious. I don’t want to spend the day with you.”

                “Yes, because you’re so charming,” I said, dropping into a chair near him.

                “Stop it you two. You’re spending the day together,” mom said sternly.

                Hank shot me another glare, but I knew that it wasn’t exactly directed at me. It was directed at the fact that no one trusted him. That he had to constantly have someone watching him. That his life had turned into this.

                “Now, both of you behave. I love you both and I’ll be home around two,” she said before grabbing her bag and leaving the house.

                Hank turned his attention back to the TV, but I could tell by his glazed over expression that he wasn’t even paying attention. He spent a lot of time on the couch, blankly staring at the TV. Sometimes I wondered what he thought about when he had that empty expression.

                After a few hours of watching TV in silence, both of our stomachs were growling like crazy. I leaned back in the chair, placing my hand over my stomach.

                “Hank, I’m starving,” I said.

                “Obviously,” he grumbled. “I don’t want to be in the house anymore. Let’s go out and get lunch.”

                “Okay,” I said, jumping up.

                Hank stood up and turned off the TV. We got dressed and went out to the car together. I drove towards Hank’s favorite food place.

                I pulled into the parking lot and the two of us got out of the car together, heading inside. We were seated and gave our orders. Once the waitress took away our menus, I realized that I had nothing to distract myself with.

                “So what else do you want to do today?” I asked him.

                Hank shrugged. “I’m only stuck with you until two.”