Just A Spark {26}

There was a knock on my bedroom door and rolled over onto my side. The door opened and a blob entered my room.

                “Rio, it’s almost noon,” Ezra said.

                I stayed quiet, pulling the covers up to my shoulders. I had no desire to get out of bed today. Not after what had happened last night. I didn’t want to face my parents or brother.

                Ezra shut my door and came over, sitting next to me on my bed. He put my glasses on my face for me, revealing him. He looked the same as always, with his purple beanie and his thumb ring, the one I had bought him.

                “Rio means River,” he said. “Do you know my favorite thing about rivers?”

                I shook my head. My voice was basically gone, so I didn’t even bother trying to answer. My throat was killing me today.

                “Rivers always flow on. Even when they’re polluted, they just keep moving,” he said, looking up at my ceiling thoughtfully. “You can throw whatever you want into rivers, and they just keep going and going because it’s in their nature and it’s just what they do.”

                He looked over at me and brushed my hair out of my face. He bent down, kissing me lightly, and his familiar lips sparked some part of me out of my numb state.

                I reached up, taking his hand in mine, pulling him down. He wrapped his arms around me, kissing me again.

                “I’m here,” he promised.

                We laid together for a while in silence, Ezra running a hand through my hair. I kept my face buried against his chest, breathing in his scent, trying to forget about everything.

                My stomach began to growl after a while, and Ezra forced me to sit up. I watched him with exhausted eyes. I had woken up in my room, only about 15 minutes after passing out, and hadn’t slept other than that.

                “Rio, come on. You have to eat. I will force feed you,” he said sternly, pulling me out of my bed.

                He gave me a gentle smile and kissed me. “I know you don’t want to face them. But you have to do it at some point. They’re worried about you. They’ll be even more worried if you lock yourself in your room and don’t eat.”

                I followed him after getting dressed, knowing he was right. I gripped his hand and he gave me a reassuring smile as we left my bedroom and went out to the kitchen together.

                My parents looked up anxiously as we entered. Ezra smiled at them as I dropped my gaze to my feet.

                “He’s hungry. He also lost his voice,” he said.

                “Got quite a set of lungs on you,” dad said with a weak smile.

                Mom came over to me and hugged me tightly. “I love you so much Rio,” she whispered. “We’re going to get through this.” She looked into my eyes and gave me a shaky smile. “I’ll make you breakfast.”

                I wanted to ask them where Hank was, but I had a feeling they had asked my Aunt to keep an eye on him while they handled me today. I peeked outside and, sure enough, my Aunt’s car was parked in the driveway.