Just A Spark {12}

I left the bathroom and went back to Mitch’s bedroom. We played truth or dare a little longer, thankfully with no more making out, until we got bored of that. We ended up playing Kings for a little.

                My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out. “Hello?”

                “Rio? Where are you?” mom asked nervously.

                “I’m at Mitch’s house with Ezra,” I said. “Why?”

                “We’re going to Aunt Mary’s house for dinner in a few minutes. I’ll come pick you up from Mitch’s house,” she said.

                I looked down at the alcohol and sighed. “Okay, see you in a few minutes.” I hung up the phone and turned to everyone. “My mom is coming to pick me up. So I need cologne and mints.”

                Mitch stood up and tossed mints to me. He sprayed me with his cologne and I realized that I now smelled like vanilla.

                “You have the most flamboyant scent,” I said, sniffing myself.

                “I smell fantastic,” Mitch said.

                “He does smell fantastic,” Jace confirmed with a nod.

                “I’m going to head home since staying here would be awkward,” Ezra said, jumping up. “Thanks for letting me hang out. Now I’m one step closer to my grand plan for revenge on Mitch.”

                “I can obviously kick your ass,” Mitch said, pointing at the scar.

                “You can kick my drunk ass,” Ezra corrected. “Although I certainly don’t want to find out if you can kick my sober ass. On that note, goodbye!”

                We listened until we heard the front door shut. Mitch turned to me and I held up a hand before he could speak.

                “He’s not plotting to attack us,” I said. “He’s harmless. I promise.”

                “I trust you,” Mitch said, surprising me. “He does seem pretty harmless, I guess. I was just going to ask you if you drank too much to go to dinner with your family.”

                “No. I’m fine,” I said, standing up as my phone buzzed. “But my mom is here,” I said after checking my text. “Bye.”

                I left the house and went out to the car. I climbed in the back, where Hank was sitting and staring out of the window. Mom and dad were sitting in the front, and dad backed the car out of the driveway.

                Mom sniffed the air. “You smell like Mitch.”

                “I told him he smelled flamboyant so he sprayed me with his cologne,” I lied easily.

                “So were you at Ezra’s house last night? How did you end up with Mitch?” mom asked.

                “I slept over Ezra’s house and we went to the park after we ate breakfast. Mitch, Shane, and Jace were there. Mitch invited us over. And ta-da, here we are,” I said.

                We pulled into Aunt Mary’s driveway and got out of the car. Mom cast a nervous glance at Hank, but he was so out of it that he didn’t even notice.