Just A Spark {8}

“Rio, are you sure you’re okay?” mom asked.

                “I’m positive,” I said, standing up. “Ezra, are you done eating yet?”

                “Hm? Yea, I’m done,” he said, also standing up.

                “Rio, why don’t you get out of the house for a little? Here, bring these to your cousin. I made him a batch of cookies last night. There’s some for you and Hank and your friends too,” she said. “But these are for Ethan and his friends.”

                “Oh goody. I get to play little red riding hood again!” I said in fake excitement, taking the cookies from her. “Ezra, want to come to my cousin’s house to drop this off?”

                Ezra shrugged. “Sure!”

                We went to my bedroom and I let Ezra borrow clothes. He pulled on his purple beanie and the two of us left my house, getting into my car.

                “Your brother has some anger issues. I see it runs in the family,” Ezra said with a laugh.

                “He’s going through withdrawal. He always gets like this. He gets pretty violent,” I said.

                “He’s hurt you worse?” Ezra guessed.

                I gripped the steering wheel tighter. “Just don’t say anything about it. My parents don’t need to know.”

                Ezra shrugged. “I won’t say a word about it. Your family business is your family business.”

                We fell into silence and I plugged my phone in, blasting music as we drove. I rolled the windows down, letting the breeze blow in.                

                “I could learn to pity fools as I’m the worst of all, and I can’t stop feeling sorry for myself,” I sang along.

                “We only want to sing you to sleep,” Ezra sang.

                “Ah, I see you have good music taste,” I said, pulling into Ethan’s driveway.

                “Naturally,” Ezra said, getting out of the car with me.

                I led him up the driveway and rang the doorbell. Aunt Mary answered and smiled at me, stepping aside to let us in.

                “This is Ezra. He’s just tagging along,” I said.

                “Hello!” Ezra said, shaking Mary’s hand.

                “It’s nice to meet you, Ezra! I’m Rio’s Aunt Mary,” she said happily. She turned to me. “Ethan is in his bedroom!”

                “Alright. I’ll go burst in,” I said, leading Ezra upstairs and down the hallway.

                I threw Ethan’s bedroom door open. He glanced over at me lazily. He and some guy were lying on his bed together watching a movie. His head was on the guy’s chest and the guy was lightly running a hand through Ethan’s hair.

                “Knock,” Ethan said.

                “You’re such a hypocrite,” the guy said with a scowl.