Just A Spark {5}

I let myself into the Mario house and went up to Mitch’s bedroom. I threw the door open and was surprised to see that Mitch was awake already. Normally he slept for most of the day.

                But he was sitting in nothing but a pair of shorts, a book in his hands. He glanced at me in annoyance.

                “Can you knock?” he said.

                “No,” I said, shutting his bedroom door. “I’m bored. Hang out with me.”

                He shut his book, tossing it onto his nightstand. “Fine. What do you want to do?”

                “Where’s Jace?” I asked curiously.

                “He’s spending the day with Shane,” Mitch said. “You didn’t answer my question.”

                “Let’s go to the smoothie place. I’m craving a strawberry-banana smoothie,” I said.

                Mitch got up and pulled a tank top on. He pulled on a beanie to hide his messy hair and grabbed his wallet.

                We left his bedroom and walked out of his house. He glanced at the cars in his driveway.

                “Do you want to drive there?” he asked.

                I shook my head. “Nah, it’s a nice day out. Let’s just walk. Besides, it will kill some time.”

                He shrugged, pulling out his phone and starting some music. “Alright, let’s go.”

                We started walking up the street together. I nodded my head along to the music as we walked.

                “I know I expect too much, and not enough all at once. You know I only wanted fun, and you got me all fucked up on love,” I sang along.

                “Stop it. You suck at singing,” Mitch said, shoving me.

                “My talents lie elsewhere,” I said with a flirtatious wink.

                “We both know that’s not happening,” he said.

                “It almost did,” I reminded.

                “Keyword: Almost,” he said. Mitch and I had gotten a little tipsy and horny one night, but nothing really happened. Well, other than me needing some alone time in the shower. God, that had sucked.

                “Silent film stars stuck in talking cinema life, so let’s fade away together one dream at a time,” I sang. “NANANANANANANANANANA!”

                “Rio, stop singing,” Mitch groaned.

                “I have a lovely singing voice,” I argued.

                “Did your mom tell you that?” he asked.

                “I can feel the love,” I said.

                We continued walking until we had reached the smoothie place. We went inside and ordered, grabbing our drinks when they were done and sitting down at a table with them.

                I looked over and nearly choked on my smoothie. Well, no wonder Ezra hadn’t been at the wall today.

                He was sitting at one of the tables with a small group of people. He was sipping on his smoothie and nodding along as some guy talked to him.