Just A Spark {16}

My bedroom door opened a few hours later. Mom stepped in and offered the two of us a smile.

                “Dinner is ready,” she said. “Ethan, your family is staying for dinner.”

                “Yea, I figured that out,” he said, jumping off of my bed.

                I followed him out of the door and down to my dining room. Hank was sitting there, looking tired and angry and desperate.

                I sat down and Ethan sat next to me. Mom passed around the food for us and we all filled our plates.

                “Where did Ezra go?” mom asked me.

                “He went to a friend’s house,” I said.

                Ethan nudged me and I shot him a glare. He nodded at me, his eyes saying that now was a good time.

                I mentally sighed. “Mom, Ezra and I are dating.”

                She looked at me curiously, and so did dad. “You are?” she asked.

                I nodded. “Yea. We started dating today,” I said.

                “That’s wonderful Rio!” mom said with a smile.

                “You haven’t dated in a while. As long as you’re happy, we’re happy for you,” dad said with an encouraging smile.

                “How are you happy for him?” Hank demanded. “He’s just going to have sex with this guy.”

                “No,” I said, glancing at him. “I’m not interested in that. I like Ezra, hence our relationship.”

                “Oh, please,” Hank said. “You’re a horny 18 year old.”

                “I am not,” I said. “I’m perfectly content with my hand.”

                “Rio!” mom said, blushing.

                “What? It’s true. I’m not dating Ezra for sex, Hank,” I said.

                “Yea, right, and I never had sex for drugs,” Hank said, and our parents winced, agony in their eyes.

                “Rio, we’re very happy for you,” mom said, trying to stop this before it became a fight. Mary and Greg were watching nervously.

                “Wow, this is an uncomfortable dinner,” Ethan said, and yelped as Mary and I elbowed him at the same time. “Ow, okay, double teaming is cheating.”

                “It’s the same as Ethan,” Hank said. “You think he’s not having sex with his boyfriend? That’s all Rio wants.”

                “Hank, you’re very fixated on the idea of me having sex. Are you trying to tell me something?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

                “I’m trying to say that you don’t need to be in a relationship, and you don’t need to be having sex,” he said.

                “So, how about this chicken?” Ethan said, raising his fork.

                “Shut up faggot,” Hank said without looking at him.