Just A Spark {6}

I opened my eyes, groaning as I realized that I forgot to close my blinds again. I pushed myself out of bed and stumbled my way into the kitchen, running into a chair.

                “Ow!” I whined as I collided with the chair.

                “Rio, where are your glasses?” mom asked with a sigh.

                “Huh?” I reached up, touching my face, feeling around for my glasses. “Well, I can tell you that they’re not on my face. Other than that, I have no idea.” The shitty thing about losing your glasses was that you couldn’t exactly look for them.

                “Hank, please go in your brother’s room and find his glasses for him,” mom said.

                “Why do I have to?” Hank asked. “It’s not my fault he’s too stupid to remember where he put them.”

                “Gee Hank, let me go look for my glasses,” I said brightly. “You know, my glasses. The things I can’t see without.”

                “Shut up Rio,” Hank said, standing up and shoving me as he left the kitchen to go find my glasses for me.

                Mom came over and guided me into a chair. “Rio, honestly, you need to remember your glasses. You’re going to get seriously hurt one of these days,” she said in concern.

                “I don’t mean to forget them,” I said, squinting up at her.

                “Rio, remember the time you broke your glasses playing outside with Hank? You wandered into the road without even knowing it while trying to get his attention. You’re lucky Hank noticed you in time and pushed you out of the way of the car that was coming,” she said. “I worry about you. You’re not safe without your glasses on.”

                “Mom, I’m fine,” I said. It was too early in the morning for this.

                A blob appeared in my vision, and then rapidly cleared into my brother as Hank put my glasses on my face for me. I straightened them out as Hank sat down.

                ‘Thanks,” I said.

                Hank grunted out a response. Well, I guess someone hadn’t been practicing their charisma lately.

                “I’ll make you boys some pancakes for breakfast,” mom said, moving to get the stuff.

                The doorbell rang and dad yelled out that he had it. I folded my arms over the table and rested my head on them sleepily.

                “Rio, your friend is here!” dad said.

                “What friend?” I asked and then groaned, picking my head up.

                “Hi Rio,” Ezra said with a bright smile.

                He was standing in front of me with my dad standing behind him. He still had on that purple beanie of his, and his eyes were bright and alive.

                “What are you doing here?” I asked. “How do you even know where I live?”

                “Internet,” he said, leaning against my chair.

                “That’s really creepy,” I said.

                “I told you I could,” he said, laughing.