14. Paving the Raod!

~ She loved him enough to let him rule over her heart, and even let him bruise it if could make him happy~

The morning sun smiled for the first time, that beautiful day, when it came up over that particular window, disturbing an extremely peaceful sleep. It had been so many years, that the sun had become almost habitual of seeing him waking with tired eyes, and fatigued look. But that morning Manik simply groaned at the first ray of light, turned and went to sleep again, peacefully. And when he finally woke up, stretching and yawning, he found a cup of his favourite espresso with cream waiting for him by the bedside. A small smile adored his lips as he lazily picked up the mug, and savoured the flavour.

Just the way he liked it! Manik moaned in delight, his morning had started on a yummy note. Finishing the coffee, he dashed towards the washroom.

Outside his door, Nandini smiled to her fullest, watching the content smile on his face. Finally, like finally, she could make his favourite drink to perfection. Before, she used to mess up the amount of coffee and cream, but thanks to the you tube guide and Pakhi of course, she did it today. Her heart did a few summersaults as she walked down the stairs, his smile etched in the canvas of her heart.

Mnaik, on the other hand, showered and got ready like everyday, and came down with hurried steps, when Pakhi who was done with her morning newspaper stopped him.

"Manik, breakfast!", He turned at her voice, frowning, For it was no more a plea like everyday but a stern order. Pakhi gestured towards the table as she stood up to join him too, and Manik didn't had the courage to deny. Mothers when stern, can be dangerous.

They sat on the table, as Pakhi started setting up plates. Manik raised his eyebrows at her when she didn't call Nandini to join. He looked around to find her standing at the kitchen door, her eyes lowered and posture nervous. But then, he knew his mother well, and as expected, she did dish out her breakfast, but kept fiddling with the spoon, without touching the food.

" Maa, you can call her too, I don't mind", he rested his hand on her outstretched palm, giving a small but genuine smile. If he had decided to move on, he would try his best.

"Nandini", he himself called out to her, seeing the hesitation in his mother's stance, and Nandini was startled.

"Come, join us. Why are you standing there?", Manik initiated the talk and Nandini clumsily nodded, before coming and sitting on her chair. Pakhi dished out food to her, and only after she saw both Manik and Nandini take the first bite, she had hers. Nandini noticed too, and it did hurt her but she knew it would take some time to get situations back to normal.

After the breakfast, Nandini was about to go collect her stuff for office, when Manik very lightly grabbed her wrist to stop her in her tracks.

" Thanks for the coffee", he blinked at her and left, leaving a stupified and stupidly smiling Nandini behind, who was ecstatic to know he had still remembered the taste of her hands. Atleast, there was hope, and that was enough for her to go on and try.

Manik instead of going to office, drove over to Shiwali's office, who was sitting in her cabin with two mugs of hot chocolate already. As soon as he pushed open her door, she grinned.

"Congratulations! You made it before it could turn cold", she giggled, making Manik smile.

"Like how? How do you always know it before hand?", He threw his hands up in the air, before taking a sit and sipping the drink.

" Perks of being your psychiatrist!", She pulled the collars of her apron and Manik made a face at her.

" So? Shoot!", She sat with her hands resting on the table, and aksed in her profesional mode and Manik knew it was no point talking in circles, atleast with her, so he let out a deep sigh.