24. Truth over Love

Note: reviews awaited.

~His arms are her safest home, while her embrace is his peace~

The morning came and by, but Nandini just could not make her heart calm. She lay on the bed for hours, staring at nothingness, wondering what sin had she done to have this complicated a life. Her eyes had turned puffy, and red, with all the crying, and yet there was this heaviness settled in her chest, that refused to abandon her.

Even though she was so distressed, all her mind, and heart was thinking was the effect everything would have on Manik. She was afraid, it will tear him apart, break him into so tiny pieces that it would be extremely difficult to gather him back. Yet, not for once, the thought of hiding the truth from him, crossed her mind. She was fearing the consequences no doubt, but she wasn't ready to snatch his right to truth. A belief was there in her heart, that gave her enough strength to cope up. A belief that had been the core of all her dreams and fairy tales. A belief that love is special, always, because it is your strength, never your weakness!

Manik on the other hand, sat restless in his room, unable to think straight. His mind was telling him that there was something he was missing, something that he was unable to understand, something that was turning his just sorted life upside down.

A soft knock on his door, broke his reverie.

He glanced up to find his mother, standing at the door, with a cup of tea. Manik smiled at that, he was sometimes so in awe of his mother who noticed minute details like how he normally preferred coffee, but if he was stressed, only tea would calm him down.

Pakhi kept the tea tray on the table, and sat beside him, on the bed. It took Manik two seconds to lie down in her lap, holding her right hand in his grip. Pakhi softly ruffled his hairs, and Manik let out a deep sigh.

"Why do things complicate all of a sudeen Maa, why can't life be smooth? How do you know the reasons behind somebody's sudden change in behaviour?", He bombarded her with all the way questions that were running in his mind. Not only Shiwali's leaving was bothering him, but also Nandini. She had been acting strangely quiet and lost since yesterday, the twinkle of her eyes had died down. Manik couldn't keep his finger on what was wrong, but he knew something was. Nandini might have thought nobody noticed her, but he did, every second she was around. And also he missed her when she was not. It frustrated him, because he knew his mind should conectarte on stopping Shiwali from leaving, but all he could think about was Nandini and the gloominess that had surrounded her.

Pakhi smiled before turning his face up, so he could see her in the eye.

"You don't ought to understand everybody's reasons Manik! But when it's about people you love, people you care about, you do. You might not realize it, but your heart knows what is wrong with whom. You are not just accepting it, but if you introspect a little more, you might just will!", Pakhi explained, understanding very well what he was asking, and hence answered in riddles the facts he needed to know. 

Manik sat up at her words, and looked at his mother intently but could make out nothing from her expression. Dejected, he leaned towards the table to pick up his cup of tea when Pakhi stood up, walking towards the door, when something made her halt. She turned to face Manik who also looked up at her, in the same moment.

"Manik, just remember that at times in life, you will find yourself at a cross road, confused between two choices, both of which may seem right, or at times both will appear wrong. At times, it will be choice between something your heart says, and something your mind points at. Or it can be a choice between love and a responsiblity you feel. Choose wisely, and always choose your happiness. Life is too short to make sacrifices all the time. Your mind might be more correct logically about a decision, but it's always the heart that is right in long term. Make a decision you don't regret twenty years later. Okay?", Pakhi spoke as if in a trance, and left, leaving a completely startled Manik behind. He could understand what his mother said but at the same time, felt like he grasped nothing. Frustrated, he stood up to walk towards the only person he knew would calm his demons down.