1.2

'i think you'll find that i don't mind if i'm dismissed, but you'll be fine with pouted lines break through your skin.'

(vibes - chase atlantic)

H.

"Harry, Harry! Come on, we're all playing over here!"

I almost dropped my penknife to the ground at the sound of her voice, startling me as it often did.

"Just a minute!" I called in return, dragging the blade a final time across the rock that lay in my palm, smoothing over the edge with my thumb.

A pair of pink plimsolls came into view, tattered ribbons upon the toes. I glanced up, my eyes scanning the pink frills that rested on her grubby and scarred knees - remains of what would begin as an innocent trip to the park, and would end building a fort from a bush somewhere.

"Haz," she huffed, folding her arms, "why won't you come play with the others?"

"I'm busy."

"With what?"

"A weapon, of course."

She sighed once more, her fingers twiddling with the edge of her neat braid, "why do you need a weapon?" she asked curiously.

"How else will I fight off the monsters, Rosie?" I sent her a grin, watching her cheeks flush rose.

"Come on, Haz - this is our last play day before we go to big school, can you please come and join in?" she pleaded sweetly, her tone sickeningly saccharine.

I clasped the rock tightly in my fist before nodding, standing up from the bench where I sat, and letting her lead me by my wrist to the main area of the park.

She squealed something about the big kids being at the park today - how exciting it was, and how exciting it would be to make friends with them before school started.

She was always so out of her depth.

They ripped the ribbons right from her shoe, snatched the clips from her hair. They tugged her braids, forcing her head down into the mud, obnoxious sneers and jeers filling the humid night air. 

"Get off her!" I'd roared before I knew what I was doing, thundering towards the group, where precious Rosie lay face down in the dirt, desperate, throaty cries sounding from her.

I'd pushed the first boy before I knew what I was doing; pushed him with every inch of strength I could muster, a sharp shriek leaving his chapped lips.

The rock.

"The nutter's cut me! He's crazy!" 

I watched him as he frantically cradled his shoulder, pulling his hand to reveal a streak of crimson staining through the tear in his shirt.

"No! I didn't mean-"

"What the fuck?!" the tall girl screamed, pushing me down into the dirt, "you freak!"

They all watched in disbelief as the boy cradled his wound, the group crowding around me as Rosie tried to pull herself to her feet.

"You're gonna pay for that, asshole!" an angry remark sounded from another boy, looking just about as bewildered as I did.

"Please - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Leave him alone, dimwits."

I turned my head quickly, thankful for the intruder despite my obliviousness to their intentions.