3.5

'the sun's coming out but i'm feeling colder, i can't wait 'til the drought is over.'

(cry baby - the neighbourhood)

-

H.

I tugged another cigarette from my pocket, lighting it before bringing it to my lips as Gemma shot me a look.

"I thought you quit it," she frowned, pointing to the tube between my lips as I took a long inhale before slowly blowing smoke into the clear air.

"Clearly I didn't," I retorted, taking another drag and adjusting my sunglasses over my eyes.

"But you tried to."

"Keyword 'tried'," I narrowed my eyes, tapping my foot on the ground impatiently as I eyed Liam in the corner of the garden, his eyes widening as whoever was on the phone spoke into his ear.

"So," Gemma changed the subject in attempts to be optimistic of the situation we were sat in, but failed instantly with her choice of conversation, "No girlfriend coming to visit you this Summer?"

I scoffed, "What makes you think that?"

"Cause you're a mishog," she said simply, and I chuckled.

"Fair dos," I grinned, taking a drag from my cig.

"Genuinely, though - I thought you had a girl around. I remember how happy you sounded when you rang me last Christmas, and Mum mentioned something about this An-"

"That was nothing," I said a little too sharply, mentally facepalming myself as I knew Gem would now grow suspicious. I couldn't help it - I felt an immediate sting whenever she was mentioned.

"Doesn't seem like nothing," she muttered, and I scowled, tossing my cigarette down and crushing it under my foot.

"It was just a fling," I shrugged, lying through my teeth.

Gemma shot me a disapproving look, "I thought you quit that, too."

"Apparently I've quit a lot of things, in your book," I mused in attempts to carry the conversation on any route away from her.

"I guess I'm just hopeful of a pessimist like you," she mused in return, as Liam shoved his phone back in his pocket, walking hastily back towards where Gem and I sat.

"You alright, man?" I asked concernedly, and he nodded rather quickly.

"Yeah, everything's alright - um - should we go eat, then?" he rubbed his hand on the back of his neck awkwardly, in a very not-Liam fashion.

"Uh.." I shot Gemma a look which she returned instantly, "yeah, alright, mate. Let's go."

"Are you sure nothing's wrong?" Gemma asked suspiciously, and as Liam continued to deny it, I became more and more concerned - but I didn't push it.

"Where's this fella of yours, then, Gem?" I asked in attempts to change the subject.

"Helping Mum and Ben inside, so we ought to go check on him, really," she grinned, standing up from her chair as I mirrored her actions, "Let's go."

We headed back inside, Liam remaining oddly quiet as we did so, only fuelling the suspicion I already possessed. Liam was an annoying fucker, yes - but it still worried me for him to be acting so out of character.

"Hello, mate," a guy who I presumed to be Gemma's guy surfaced from what I further presumed was the kitchen, and extended his hand out for me to shake.

"Hi," I took his hand and shook it, "I'm Harry."

"James," he sent me a smile, releasing my hand, "It's great to finally meet you."