6 √

Chapter 6| The Most Luxurious Dinner

Rese's home was absolutely stunning inside and out, and his family was even more stunning. His mother had introduced me to the whole family of six minus Rese, all of whom looked like models. But I still thought Rese was the best looking, even if his younger brother argued he had to best looks.

"What does your father do again?" Mr. Alvaro asked as we all sat around a beautiful dining table which was set outside on a patio that overlooked an even prettier backyard full of plants. 

Rese sat on my left, and his younger brother, Colin, who was twelve, sat on my right. Across from us were his other younger brother, Stefan, who was eight, and his two younger sisters, Russet, who was my age, and Gia, who was thirteen. On the ends of the table were Mr. and Mrs. Alvaro.

"He's a police officer for the city. He's just working desk jobs these days." I say, speaking up. Colin looks over at me gawking. People always found it cool my dad was a cop.

"Do you know what it's like to be a cop?" He asks, and his parents looked at each other before they looked at their son in a disapproving way. I felt Rese lean over, his arm brushing against mine as he wraps it around my shoulders and then he puts his other hand on my thigh.

"They play cards and eat donuts all day, Kid." Rese says quietly. I ram my elbow back into his chest, pushing him away as he smirks at me knowingly. I give him a sharp look in return.

"They don't play cards all day, Colin," I say, and Rese leans back into his chair, "They do cool things too. This one time, I was in the police car with him, and we were going down the interstate to wherever, and suddenly this huge moose came barreling out of the woods causing this massive crash between five cars. Of course, I had to stay in the car," I was still sour about that, "But I got to watch him save a few people from an engine fire." 

Colin looked at me in awe, listening intently to my story. I told him about cool things my dad did, trying to remember the best ones, and when he was thoroughly satisfied, the conversation drifted apart. 

It was quiet as people ate until I felt a warm hand press against the outside of my leg, and Rese subtly moved closer to me, but I saw his parents still catch his movement. I glanced over at him, giving him a stern warning look, which he completely disregarded as his hand stroked up my thigh. I went rigid in my seat, dropping my fork onto the table. 

"Do you have any siblings, Caline?" Mr. Alvaro asks, his gaze piercing through both me and Rese, trying to figure out why I was suddenly staring Rese down with a warning glare. My gaze softened and I looked over at him to be polite, curling my hands in as Rese stopped his hand high on the outside of my thigh. 

"Yes, I–I have a younger sister in...sixth grade." I say, my hands going under the table as Rese started to move his hand towards my inner thigh, keeping his face schooled and calm. 

"Ah," Mr. Alvaro says, smiling politely. He leans forward a little, looking at my eyes, "Where does your eye color come from?" He asks, and Mrs. Alvaro looks at her husband, giving him a slightly wide-eyed look. I tilted my head just a little at the odd question.

"My mother had amber eyes, and my father's mother had slightly yellow eyes. It's an odd color, isn't it? My father could never get over them for a long time. Whether he liked them or not, they were there, and I think it upset him a little bit." I say, keeping my calm as I fought Rese's hand, trying to push him back in vain. Mr. Alvaro nods slowly, narrowing his eyes slightly.

"Well, I think they look very wolfish." He says. Rese's hand freezes and Mrs. Alvaro and him look at Mr. Alvaro in quiet disbelief. Mr. Alvaro just smiled a little, leaning back in his chair as he crosses his arms over his chest.