9 √

Chapter 9| 4AM Tacos and a Little Surprise

No matter what Dad told me, no matter what he bribed me with, I went out in the early hours of four to take a jog. It wasn't quite light outside yet, but it wasn't dark either; It was quiet and no one was awake at a time like this, which was perfect for me. 

I kept my earbuds in the whole run, not caring what music my playlist went through. As I got to the long road down the side of the high school, I took a deep breath, finding the finish line before I took off at a fast run. I was tracking my heart rate as it steadied out halfway there and I trotted over the finish line a minute later, panting and out of breath.

"I heard there was a nice taco shop open at four a.m. today." Someone suddenly said and I smiled, dropping my arms to my side after putting them over my head to cool off. I turned around but I already knew who it was. 

Rese Alvaro standing there wearing a black hoodie, a pair of red and black leggings–or pants–and a hat–backward of course. 

∞∞∞

"I'm sorry for what I said the other day." I tell Rese as soon as I had finished eating an amazing breakfast taco. He wasn't lying when he said the taco shop was open at four a.m. 

After he had finished his, we sat outside in the park across the street from the taco shop.

He sighed, turning towards me, "You don't have to say sorry, Line. You're not the jerk who disappeared for five days without bothering to say hello." He says, and I look down at my cracked phone, "Sugar, I want to talk to you." I look up at him as he puts a hand on my knee. 

"About?" I ask having a good idea of what he wanted to talk about. 

"I heard a Coyote tried to bite you last night, are you ok?" He asks, catching me off guard. I thought he was going to want to talk about the other day. I nod slowly, looking at him.

"Yeah, no, I'm fine. My dad just wants me to learn how to drive now because of it. He's just being protective is what he's telling me, but I think it scared him." I explain and he nods, furrowing his eyebrows together.

"How'd it die?" He asks, and I raise an eyebrow, my mouth going dry. 

"You should ask my dad that, he saw it. I didn't. He looked like he had–" He cut me off before I could continue, and his words made me fall silent.

"What do you think it was?" He asked and I looked down at my hands. I had a feeling I knew what it was, but Rese would think I was crazy. I would have to explain to him where I was and what I was doing as well, and that was a secret I wanted to keep to myself for a while. 

"I don't know," He gives me a look, "Don't look at me like that, Rese. I just–Godfine, It was a predator of a predator, and the only animal I know that can do that is a wolf. It was a wolf, Rese, ok? It was a wolf." I tell him and he nods, his hand leaving my knee as he crosses his arms leaning back into his seat. 

"Let's do that thing again. Tell me what you know." He says suddenly, and I scoff, crossing my arms as well. 

"And why would I tell you anything I know?" I ask him and his lips curl up into a smirk. He leans closer and I hold my ground, not moving an inch. 

"Because It's in your best interest...and because I know that you know something I don't." He says before leaning back. I don't say anything for a minute, just staring at him. Then I spit it out, hating how he was looking at me so intensely.