Chapter Five- 'Don't Mention the Suncream!'

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to Phoebs, for being a lovely friend, and because I think she might like the interaction between a certain cheeky couple in this chapter :P  If you're not reading her story, Have A Little Hope, you MUST, because it's brilliant! Anyway. I haven't been naming chapters so far in the story, but this sentence just seemed to deserve its own chapter title, haha! Hope you enjoy the chapter :) Love Maddie xoxo

After a light lunch, the five of them headed down the pretty little street of picturesque shops. Though Oscar had sent Ezra a text to ask him if he wanted to come, he hadn’t had a reply, so guessed that his friend was still forgetting it all with cigarettes, and, most likely, an ice cold beer.

 Oscar watched as April immediately headed for a small clothes boutique, indulging her fashionista side, and rummaging amongst the hangers with a rather professional air, whisking the clothes hangers across the rails as she sorted through them. Morgie hung back with Laurel, idly stroking a soft cardigan, then taking an enormous step back when she saw the price tag, opening her eyes wide at Oscar.

 ‘Did you see that?’ she hissed. ‘I’d better get out of here before I break something.’

 April, however, was holding up a dress, exclaiming over it, and looked like she might be some time.

 ‘Erm, April?’ Morgie tapped her on the arm, after waiting for what felt like forever to Oscar, who’d never been a fan of clothes shopping. ‘D’you mind if we go and get some ice cream while you shop?’

Oscar grinned gratefully at her. ‘Ice cream!’ he repeated, and she gave him a shove.

‘Thought it might stop you fidgeting, you great child,’ she commented, before looking back at April.

‘Oh, sure!’ April said, tearing her eyes from the clothes. ‘I’ll meet you there, shall I?’

Morgie nodded. ‘I saw an amazing one down the road, looks delicious.’

Oscar was already half way out of the shop with excitement.

As the four of them made their way down the street, Will caught Laurel’s eye, and fell into step next to her.

‘Not a big shopping fan?’ he inquired.

 Laurel shook her head. ‘Not really,’ she said. ‘Everything’s so expensive.’

 Will smiled. ‘Well, I don’t blame you. It’s all a bit boring to me.’

Laurel raised an eyebrow. ‘Do you get your mum to buy all your clothes for you, then?’ she inquired, slightly teasingly.

Will gave her a light push. ‘Hey!’

Laurel pushed him back. ‘You do!’ she protested. ‘I can tell!’

Will laughed. ‘Alright, alright,’ he admitted. ‘My mum buys my clothes, okay?’

‘I knew it!’ Laurel said triumphantly.

Will could hardly stop grinning. In that one moment, he felt like he’d finally coaxed her from her shell, finally gotten her to loosen up a little. He could have barely hoped for such a thing. He beamed at her, and she started to grin back, but then her brow creased a little, and she looked down at the ground, her cheeks flushing.

Ah well, thought Will. It was a start.

Oscar, meanwhile, had gone into raptures at the sight of the ice cream shop’s window display. Getting closer, Morgie could see why: the shop owners clearly had more than a streak of creativity. The shop window appeared to be a waterfall of different ice cream flavours, with various flavours listed in Spanish.