Chapter Ten

When Morgie eventually made her way back to the hotel room that night, kissing Oscar goodbye outside the door, an enormous smile on her face she couldn’t quite wipe off, she felt all aglow with happiness.

It felt so surreal. They were going on a Proper Date. He liked her, as in Liked her liked her, and she Liked him too, it wasn’t just the alcohol boosted hormones. She hugged her arms to her chest, doing a little spin as she went through the door.

April looked up in surprise. ‘How drunk did you get, Morgie?!’ she asked, eyebrows raised.

Morgie giggled. ‘I’m not drunk,’ she said. ‘Just a bit giddy.’

April sat up straight. ‘Ohmygod what happened?!’ she asked. Laurel’s eyes lifted from her book too, meeting hers. Though it was late, they were both still up, clearly waiting for her arrival.

Morgie sat down on the end of her bed and grinned. ‘Oscar’s taking me on a Proper Date!’ she squeaked. ‘He likes me, as in Likes me likes me, and the crazy thing is, I freaking like him too.’

April gaped, leaping up and wrapping her arms around her friend. ‘Morgie! I’m so happy for you! Oh my god!’

The two of them did a silly little happy dance. Laurel’s expression hadn’t changed, but, looking over, Morgie noticed her friend had gone pale.

‘Are you alright, Laurel?’ she asked. ‘You look a bit pale.’

Laurel’s lips twisted. ‘I’m fine,’ she said stiffly. ‘I just want to get some sleep.’

Morgie tilted her head, going over to her. ‘Are you sure? You seem a bit-‘

‘I’m fine,’ Laurel reinforced. ‘Fine, fine, fine, fine, fine.’

Morgie shot a look at April, who shrugged subtly. ‘Anyway,’ the latter said, ‘you’ll need an early night ready for your date tomorrow!’

Beaming, Morgie nodded, picking up her brush and going through her hair in steady strokes. ‘What do you think we’ll do?’ she asked wonderingly.

April smiled ‘Who can tell?’ she said. ‘Oscar’s full of surprises.’

Morgie grinned in a rather lovesick, soppy way that made April grin too, just to see it. ‘He is,’ she said. ‘How was your night, by the way?’

Her friend wrinkled her nose. ‘Rubbish, to be honest. Well, it started off great, and George and I ended up kissing-‘

‘Eeep!’ Morgie squealed. ‘Oh my god, that’s rather a step,’ she commented. ‘Was it fun?’

‘Amazing,’ April replied. ‘He’s a fantastic kisser.’

‘So why was it rubbish?’ her friend inquired.

April shook her head. ‘You’re not going to believe this,’ she said. ‘Basically, Ezra turned up, dragged me out-‘

‘Nooo,’ Morgie interrupted, her mouth agape.

‘Then he had a go at me for being a slut, kissed me himself, and went off to hook up with some whore from the club!’ April continued, her cheeks flushed with rage. ‘Can you believe it?!’

Morgie looked shell shocked. ‘Are you joking?!’ she asked. ‘That’s mental! What was he thinking?!’

‘I have no idea,’ April replied. ‘It was so out of the blue.’

‘Do you mind letting me go to sleep?’ Laurel asked stonily. ‘It’s almost day time.’

Morgie shot April a worried look. ‘Um, sure,’ she said, warily. ‘Sorry.’