Chapter Six

With Oscar at such close range, it had suddenly become rather hard for Morgie to think. Therefore, when he leant in, something in her mind seemed to expel all thought of anything else. They were both breathless, and silent, for once, and, as she blinked up at him, aware he was getting closer and closer, she really wasn’t quite expecting a sudden splash, and her second submersion underwater of the day.

 Underwater, she struggled up to the surface, and breaking out into the warm air, she gasped for air: not solely the result of being underwater.

What the hell just happened? Morgie wondered, as she quickly swam towards the shore, going as far as she could before her feet hit the soft sand of the seabed, avoiding Oscar’s gaze.

He was laughingly asking if she was okay, following her with a great deal of splashing, as nonchalant as ever, and, finally Morgie felt safe enough to meet his eyes, albeit with a rueful expression.

‘I’m fine,’ she assured him, with a cheeky smile. ‘Thanks for dropping me in, though, Oscs, really kind of you.’

He put one arm around her, laughing. ‘You’re welcome.’ He patted her arm. 'Sorry, though. I didn't mean to drop you in.'

Meeting his eyes, Morgie felt her stomach twist. She wasn't used to feeling this way around Oscar. What was wrong with her? She smiled weakly. 'It's okay, Oscs, don't worry.'

He smiled back, but she dropped her eyes. His beautiful gaze was doing strange things to her insides.

Her head was still spinning a little. If she was honest, she’d kissed Oscar more times than she could remember, but never completely sober. It had always been the result of joking around, and letting things get further than they should thanks to a good dose of alcohol running through her veins, and his.

As he continued to tease her, both of them swimming casually along, Morgie’s heart wasn’t quite in it, as her mind went into overload. Sure, Oscar had attempted to kiss her plenty of times not sober, but always in a joking way, part of their banter, nothing serious. But this time, there had been a look in his eyes, one intense look she hadn’t ever seen on his face before. It had thrown her off guard.

Shortly before she’d been thrown in the sea.

But he was laughing now, she reminded herself. He wasn’t feeling awkward like she was, wanting answers like she did. He was his normal self.

So, instead of demanding to know what the look in his eyes had been all about, she reverted to her normal self too, and left her wondering for later.

*

However, Morgie didn’t really get an opportunity for reflection. The group of them stayed on the beach for the next few hours, joined belatedly by Ezra, who seemed a little drunk, and who managed to persuade them all to go back to the hotel, change, and get to a club.

Laurel wasn’t entirely sure about it. She didn’t own many clubbing outfits, and felt distinctly uncomfortable in the one she’d borrowed from April, who was far taller than she was, and therefore it didn’t quite fit her. She didn’t really like clubbing, with all the noise and all the strangers, but she resolved to attempt to enjoy herself. She was on holiday, for goodness sake.

However, when they entered the club Ezra had picked out, Laurel instantly knew it wasn’t going to be an enjoyable evening. The club was packed full of people, many of them her age, and music was blaring out, couples making out left right and centre. She gulped.

Will, by her side, immediately sensed her unease, and smiled as comfortingly as he could. He’d gathered from what he knew of Laurel that this wouldn’t exactly be her scene, and he had to agree with her a bit, he wasn’t really comfortable getting drunk anywhere like Ezra was, and had learnt his lesson about binge drinking after his first few months of uni, when he’d spent so long passed out, everything had begun to blur into one.