Chapter Twelve

Day soon wore into dusk, which wore into evening, the sun dipping for good behind the horizon, plunging the beach into silver moonlight. The peaceful lapping of the waves, kissing the shoreline, however, proved too hypnotizing for the group to leave; now that the majority of the tourists and other visitors had left, the place was tranquil and quiet, broken only by the distant laughter of a group further down the beach, and faint sounds from the town.

April lay on her back in the sand, her head pillowed on her rolled up towel, staring at the sky above. It was dark black, and looked like velvet, each star its own jewel against it. It all seemed so impossibly beautiful that it sort of took her breath away. Morgie, Oscar and Will were chatting lightly beside her, but she was too relaxed to listen properly, letting her body melt into the sand below her.

Everything was so calm, so perfect, that she felt her eyes drift shut, her lashes brushing her cheeks, her toes curling into the sand beneath them. She was aware only of her breathing, in and out, in and out…

However, when a crackle, followed by the smell of smoke suddenly burst into her consciousness, she sat up abruptly, looking around. Next to her, Ezra and Oscar were setting about building a camp fire, using old bricks and a load of driftwood they’d found. April rubbed her eyes. She must have dropped off.

Morgie suddenly plopped down next to them with a bag from the nearest convenience store, from which was protruding a large packet of marshmallows.

‘What’s going on?’ April asked.

‘Hello sleepy head,’ Morgie said cheerfully, eyeing the growing fire before her with a smile. ‘You dropped off.’

April laughed. ‘I can’t believe I did,’ she said. ‘I must have just been too tired. Are we having a bonfire?’

Morgie nodded. ‘It was Laurel’s idea,’ she explained, with a smile at the girl in question.

‘I thought of the marshmallows!’ put in Oscar, proudly.

‘As if you needed to be told that,’ Morgie said dryly, cheekily giving her boyfriend a swift pinch on the bum, making him turn around and raise his eyebrows at her.

‘God, you’re outrageous,’ he said affectionately, quickly leaning in and pecking her on the lips.

April watched as Morgie drew back quickly, guiltily shooting a glance at Laurel, who was deliberately looking at her feet.

Soon, flames were shooting up, flaring into the sky in bright orange and yellow tongues of fire, the crackle of burning driftwood one of those beautifully perfect sounds which cannot be described. Morgie sighed as the smell of the smoke drifted her way.

‘This is perfect,’ she said dreamily, as everyone shifted closer to the fire, sitting in a vague circle.

Oscar smiled at her, as she leant ever so slightly against him. ‘Mm?’

She nodded. ‘Fresh night air; fire; friends… what more could you want?’

‘Marshmallows?’ suggested Oscar, looking at the bag which contained them at Morgie’s feet.

Morgie looked at him with a wry smile. ‘Food, food, food,’ she said despairingly, but she was already ripping the packet open, and passing them around.

Unfortunately, none of them had really considered how they were going to melt them, so soon Will and Ezra vanished off to attempt to find some sticks suitable for toasting marshmallows on. Meanwhile, Morgie was tasked with the near impossible challenge of keeping Oscar from devouring the entire packet uncooked.

‘They just taste so good,’ he groaned, licking his lips.

Morgie rolled her eyes. ‘Have some self control, man!’ she commanded him. ‘Don’t be so pathetic!’