Chapter 13: The Shack In The Woods

Song: Fast Car (original) by Tracy Chapman

The fireworks were epic! I can't believe I had to force Zaavan to come - I mean, who doesn't love fireworks?

"How awesome was that?" I asked turning to Zaavan, startling him.

"If you think polluting the Earth for our entertainment is awesome then yeah, it was great," he said sarcastically.

"Yeesh, it was only for 10 minutes."

"And those were a lot of fireworks..."

"Whatever man. You just don't want to admit that it was great." I shook my head and tossed him my phone. "Text my mom and let her know that I'll meet her at the boulder." Well technically, it was a huge rock, but she'll know what I mean. I hopped down to go throw out some napkins but when I got back, Zaavan was giving me an icy glare.

"What's up?"

"What's up?" he spat. "Why don't you tell me?" I was seriously confused. "Bro, what are you talking about?" He handed me my phone and I read the texts on the screen.

Zhang Da Man

Hey man. Did you check out the group chat yet? Trinity wants us to meet up after school the first day we get back. Did you get some dirt on Zaavan yet or what?

Shit, this was seriously bad timing. Dammit Zhang, really? I didn't know what to say. "Uh, why were you snooping around my phone?" I asked pathetically.

"Oh yeah, now I'm the bad guy here aren't I? I was texting your mom when these notifications popped up on the screen. Check the time Vance, they were just sent."

I didn't know what to say. "So that's what this whole thing was, wasn't it? You were just pretending to want to hang out and everything just so you can expose my shit to the world, isn't it?" Zaavan was furious. I don't think I've ever seen him this pissed before. But there was something else. He looked...hurt.

"No! It's not like that! I mean, not anymore...Zaavan come on man! It wasn't even my idea!"

"No, but I'm right aren't I? You didn't even want to be friends in the first place?" I just stood there. I had to say something, anything. But I didn't because I couldn't even deny it.

"God, I'm such an idiot." With that being said, Zaavan turned around and stormed away. It was as if he was walking right out of my life for good. I can't believe it. I screwed up so bad that I lost the one real friend I had. I guess we all know who was the real idiot here.

***

I kept sending Zaavan text after text telling him how sorry I was, but he never replied back. It was nearly midnight and still no answer. Should I call him? Nah, nobody calls anymore. I guess I should just call it a night. I was just about to go to bed when my bedroom door creaked open.

"Ah, still awake I see." I felt myself tense up. "Get dressed and meet me outside in ten." Aunt Lucy smirked and left me at that. Panicking, I started breathing rapidly and I broke into a sweat. For the past few weeks she's been out all night, God knows where. What did she want from me all of a sudden? Taking a deep breath, I did as I was told.

"Uh, aunt Lucy, where are we going?" I asked. Though the second I asked her, we were already there. We got out of the car and Aunt Lucy knocked on the front door of a shack. A brunette about her age answered the door.

"Ah, Lucy! Here is everyone's money, mine included. It's all there, you can count it if you want." We waited for a few minutes as she counted the cash. I was confused. Why was she giving aunt Lucy cash? And that much? There must've been nearly a thousand dollars.