Chapter 18: Real Boys Don't Cry

Song: She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5

I woke up with a start, gasping for air. My brown hair was plastered to my face and I was drenched in sweat. There was a sharp, pounding pain in the lower half of my stomach, so, I took a deep breath and lifted my comforter.

My eyes went wide and I felt the colour drain from my face. Shit, this can't be happening to me right now. My pants and sheets were stained with blood.

I quickly stumbled my way to bathroom. Everything's going to be okay. I just need to calm down and get cleaned up before Vance wakes up.

Fighting the intense pain, I dug through the cabinets. Where was it? Shit, don't tell me I don't have anymore. No, I never forget to tell my mom to get some when I'm running out. There's got to be some more in the basement. Dammit, I can't take this pain. I squeezed my eyes shut and rubbed my temples. I can barely even stand and I've got to get cleaned up before Vance wakes up.

But it was already too late. I opened the bathroom door to reveal a confused Vance.

"Yo Zaavan - did you get a cut on your leg or something? There's blood on the sheets..." His voice trailed off when he saw the stains of blood on my pants.

"Bro - are you okay?" He asked in a worried tone. "Should I call 911?"

"No, it's fine. I'm fine, just go back to sleep." I probably looked like shit because he wasn't buying it.

"No you're not. What's going on?" Panic was starting to rise in his voice.

"I said I'm fine so just leave me alone," I said, my voice cracking. The pain was getting worse by the minute and I still needed to get cleaned up and eat something before I could take some medicine. I wouldn't want to mess up my mom's precious sofa now, would I?

"I'm not leaving until you tell me what's wrong." Man, he was seriously determined.

I couldn't take it anymore. The intense pain was starting to get to me and I was too exhausted to argue with him.

"Dammit Vance, I'm on my fucking period!" I cried. "Is that what you wanted to hear? Well there you go, enjoy." I added bitterly.

I closed my eyes and ran a hand through my hair in an attempt to calm myself down. I can't believe this is actually happening right now.

"Where are you going?" Asked Vance as I started to make my way downstairs.

"I don't have any more pads so I need to get a new pack from the basement," I said in defeat, knowing that he wouldn't stop without an answer.

"Just tell me where it is and I'll go grab it," he offered.

"No!" I cried, horrified at his suggestion. "I'll just go get it myself." It was already bad enough that Vance knows that I get my period and the last thing that I wanted right now was for him to see my pads.

"Bro, chill. I'm 17, I've seen pads before," said Vance with a reassuring look. Normally, I wouldn't have agreed but I could barely stand because of how bad the cramps were.

It took a bit of time, but I finally managed to get cleaned up, have some crackers and take a pill. Once the medicine finally started kicking in, I just fell asleep on my mom's precious sofa.

***

It wasn't long before the smell of cooking woke me up.

"Finally, you're awake. I thought you were dead or something." I looked up to see Vance smiling at me. Oh God, he knew.

"Here - you're probably hungry. A five star meal cooked by yours truly," said Vance as he placed a bowl in front of me.

I snorted. "Anyone can make 2 minute Maggi Noodles."