Chapter 23: Testing The Waters

Song: Every Breath You Take by The Police

"Is it over?" asked Kennedy with a hopeful look on her face.

"No, it's halftime so the game's only half done," I replied laughing as she groaned.

"Well, I'm going to get some pop from the vending machine. Can I get either of you fine ladies anything?" grinned Kolton. God, that guy was such a jackass.

Katja and I glared at him while Kennedy simply ignored him.

"We're fine babe," smiled Ariadne.

"Well actually, I could go for some chips-" Kolton just ignored Zhang, walking right by him.

"Or I could just get them myself," sighed Zhang as he got up.

"Could you grab me a root beer?" Katja piped up.

"And a nut bar for me," chimed in Kennedy.

"You guys Kolton just asked-"

"We don't want anything from that butt," Katja said, cutting off Ariadne. Zhang laughed at Katja's attempt at being mean without swearing. As crazy as it sounds, Katja actually never swore.

"Yeah. He cheated on you, so why are you still dating him?"

"Because he said he was sorry and I know he really meant it," she sighed. "I was going to break up with him but I think he's actually starting to open up and trust me. Guys, I think I'm in love with him," she sighed, her eyes getting all dreamy.

"Bro, NO." Yea, don't ask me why Katja's suddenly obsessed with bro-ing everyone. As she went on about how manipulative Kolton was, Kennedy turned towards me.

"So? What happened with your friend?"

"What? Nothing?" I replied hastily. How did she know about Zaavan and I?

"So is he gay or what?"

"What do you mean?"

"The guy you were talking about during lunch the other day! What happened with him? Did he figure everything out?"

"Oh, him." I looked away, suddenly remembering my failed attempts at figuring out my sexuality. I looked around and took in all the girls I saw around me, mentally noting the ones I found attractive. It was confusing because I was so sure that I liked Zaavan, but I was also sure that I was still attracted to girls. So what exactly would that make me?

"Well, he's pretty sure that he's not gay, but he's dating a guy now because...well he likes him." It took everything I had to not smile as Zaavan's amazing face popped into my head.

"Well, is he attracted to guys other than the one he's dating?"

And that was something that never occurred to me. Slowly, I looked down onto the field where the soccer players were taking a break.

Even though most of the sports teams have been discontinued for the season, the coaches took turns holding mock tournaments to keep their players in shape. They just split the teams in half and they would play against each other. Pathetic, I know. But most of the school was here regardless because sports are a big thing at our school and everyone was sick of watching the ping pong team, the only sports team that hasn't been discontinued.

My eyes immediately wandered over to Zaavan, who was probably going over his team's tactic for the rest of the game. I smiled simply because I was happy to see him. This was basically one of the only times I can openly stare at Zaavan in public. And also because damn, he looked good in that soccer uniform.

But then, something else caught my eye. Beside Zaavan, Dashiell lifted his shirt up to wiping the sweat off of his face. My cheeks instantly went red as I caught a glimpse of his insanely toned abs.