Chapter 25: Late Night Bad Ideas

Song: They Don't Know About Us by One Direction

"Was it good?"

"It was so good, like man, you guys should've gone to watch!" exclaimed Zhang.

"It was by far the best play our school has performed," added Ahmed, but I was barely paying attention.

My mind was racing at the fact that Vance and I were actually doing this - actually telling someone about...us. Ahmed and I have been friends since elementary school and the thought of him being disgusted with me made me sick to the stomach.

The only reason I agreed to do this was because I felt bad that I was being overly paranoid. Besides, I had to be careful to not do anything that'll chase Vance away. I didn't want to lose him, he meant too much to me.

But what if they react badly? What if they hate us and don't ever want anything to do with us ever again? What if things are weird after this? Or what if they tell the whole school and then our parents find out-

I was pulled out of my thoughts by the feeling of a hand on my shoulder. Vance squeezed it reassuringly and flashed me his heat-melting smile. Although I felt a bit better, I was still shaking nervously.

"Well, if you want to run for School president, then Zaavan and I are with you, right Zaavan?"

I nodded. "You'd make an awesome president, Ahmed. You've got my vote."

"So, do you guys want to shoot some hoops or are we just gonna sit around here all day?" teased Zhang.

Vance gave me a look and I knew it was time, but I was nowhere near ready for this. My head started to spin as everyone's voices got lost in a blur. I broke into a sweat and suddenly found it hard to breath. I couldn't do this - there was no way that I could do this.

Vance seemed to sense my discomfort as he whispered in my ear: "It's going to be okay. Just trust me on this one."

I nodded, oblivious of the confused looks Zhang and Ahmed were throwing our way. Thankfully, I started to calm down. If this was important to Vance, then I would do it.

"Hey guys, Zaavan and I have something to tell you..." Vance looked over at me but all I could do was look down at my feet. I felt paralyzed. This was going to end badly...

"That is...shit. Never mind, it's...just never mind."

"Come on, you can't just leave us like that! Now I'm curious, you have to tell us!" replied Zhang.

"We won't laugh, I promise," assured Ahmed.

"It's not that..." said Vance reluctantly.

"Well, no promises..." joked Zhang, which earned him an elbow jab in the stomach from Ahmed.

"Go on, you can tell us," Ahmed pressed gently. Vance took a deep breath.

"Zaavan and I...we're dating." I couldn't help it as my face went red at his confession.

Ahmed's mouth fell open while Zhang just stood there, stunned. Then suddenly, he bursted out laughing.

"Good one! You guys nearly had us there," he said between laughs. But once he saw Vance's serious expression and my look of guilt (yes guilt), he stopped.

I was the one who broke the silence that followed.

"We can leave if you want," I said, avoiding Ahmed's eyes.

Ahmed shook his head. "No. Everyone is welcome here, regardless of their height, size, colour, gender, sexual orientation and so on. As long as you're a good person, you're welcome into my house anytime. You guys are two of my closest friends and both amazing people. I'm so lucky to have friends like you two and if dating each other makes you guys happy, then I'm happy."