Chapter 14: Right By Your Side

Song: Stand By Me by Ben E. King

Boy, the things that I do for Vance Dallas. This includes staying up all night just to make sure that he doesn't wake up screaming. Well, at least staying up for an hour before my mom came knocking on the door.

"Zaavan? Are you ready yet? We're leaving for your grandparents in 10 minutes!"

Shoot. I forgot about that. I got up and unlocked the door, opening it just a crack. "Yeah...uh...about that. I don't feel well."

"Nice try Zaavan but you're going and that's final."

"No I mean it! My stomach's hurting and I feel really nauseous. I think it might be, you know..." I winced. I hated using that excuse but it was the only way that she'd let me stay.

I was right, because her eyes grew wide as she uttered a single "oh" before telling me to rest and to under no circumstances leave the house. Soon, everyone left, leaving me all alone with Vance. I had breakfast and when I returned to the room, he was already awake.

"Zaavan! Listen, we need to talk. I'm really sorry about last night."

For what? "Hey it's not your fault, you're the victim here and you don't need to..."

"No I mean about the whole exposing you thing. I swear - I already texted Trinity and told him to call this stupid revenge plan off. Yeah, I hated you and wanted to get you back, but honestly, wouldn't you if you had the chance? Anyways, that was before the trip when we were rivals and shit. Seriously though, you're a great person Zaavan. I'm sorry for screwing things up so please don't hate me."

That was what he wanted to say? What about his aunt? What even happened last night? When I didn't answer, he just continued.

"I'll make it up to you, I swear. How about we go for a movie? My treat," he smiled.

"Wha- Vance what the hell? Aren't you going to say anything about what happened last night?"

He shrugged. "You pretty much already know what happened. Just fill in the blanks. Really, it was nothing, just forget it."

"Nothing? Dude, I found you on the ground in front of a shack looking like you were about to die and you actually have the nerve to tell me that it was NOTHING?! You know how you can make it up to me? For once, you can man up, own your shit and tell me what the hell happened last night!"

"I don't want to talk about it," he said, his voice cracking. I couldn't take it anymore. I'm not a patient person and I just about had it with Vance.

"You know what? Screw you. Here are your clothes. Now change and get the hell out of here!" I threw him his clothes and slammed the door behind me as I left. Did he actually expect me to trust him when he never tells me anything?!

God, now why is he taking so long to change? Frustrated, I barged back inside. "Didn't you hear me? I said get the hell-" I stopped short when I saw Vance on the ground in his boxers and a t-shirt, crying.

Shit. I'm such a douchebag. I just stood there awkwardly as he continued to cry. Come on Zaavan, say something.

"Uh...Vance?"

"All I can think about is her disgusting hands on my skin when she pulled my boxers down," he said between sobs. I went and sat beside him, wrapping an arm around his shoulders.

"And those other ladies..."

"Wait - what other ladies?"

"I dunno, I think they paid her to spend the night with me." I felt a pang in my chest at his words. It physically hurt listening to what Vance was going through.