এক 1 এক (UPDATED 12/17/2023)

GOOD SAMARITAN

"Excuse me, sir. I believe you dropped this," the voice was different from any he'd noticed since arriving in New York.

It was light and cheerful, almost melodic with an easiness he often struggled to find in his busy world. The woman spoke English clearly, but it was the way her tongue wrapped around and released each syllable as if to somehow play with the language he had been forced to learn to perfection out of sheer necessity. Due to the urgent matter pressing him to make haste, Vijay's desire to pinpoint the source of the soothing melody found itself pushed into the background of his day.

Finally, after a brief musing of the harmonic tone, Vijay turned around to find a woman reaching out to him.

His thoughts seemed to fizzle away as he glanced down at her outstretched hand. In it was a black wallet with initials he quickly came to recognize as his own, prompting him to close the distance between them.

Vijay accepted his property quickly as he inspected its contents to assure himself that everything was in its place.

"Thank you." The smoky authoritative timbre of his words only served to emphasize that he wasn't some average individual.

His face questioned her without saying a word as he reached inside the wallet and handed the stranger two very crisp one hundred dollar bills.

Noticeably shocked by the action, the woman shook her head and gently covered his hand as she clasped her fingers around his to signal her refusal of the reward. The gentlemen accompanying him instantly sprung into action as if someone waged a full attack after observing the interaction between the two.

Vijay snapped his fingers, forcing the four stony-faced Titans to stop in their tracks.

"No thanks. You don't owe me anything. Just try to be a little more careful. The next time you may not be so lucky." She remarked with a smile that graced her lips but also managed to accentuate her warm brown eyes.

As a businessman, he had long ago grown accustomed to people seeking any opportunity to gain anything of value from him. Due to the greed of men, it became increasingly difficult for him to show empathy towards others. The endless tricks people employed to solicit from him caused Vijay to suspect everyone with whom he interacted.

Yet, the woman's gentle rebuff struck him since Vijay had no recollection of another person who hadn't greedily taken whatever he offered.

After potentially saving him from numerous issues associated with being a foreigner without identification, the stranger vanished into the busy noonday crowd with what appeared to be a piping hot cup of coffee in her other tiny hand. Sure, issues were mere inconveniences for a man of his means. But the idea that a stranger would offer to assist him touched Vijay in some unfamiliar way.

Maybe it was the heat from her satiny smooth skin that still lingered on his hand?

Genuine sincerity warmly caressed his mind long after she was gone. Even though he understood she had rebuked him, Vijay found himself caught off guard by her soft voice, round face, and almond-shaped eyes. She was indeed a rare exotic flower, and Vijay was all too aware of his penchant for rare flowers.

The wind shifted in his direction as a familiar fragrance assaulted his senses. Sweetness drew his attention back in the direction in which the sun-kissed earth-brown deva disappeared. Even though the encounter lasted just minutes, it seemed as if he was locked in its lingering embrace.

He never once associated New York City with the idea of meeting anyone possessing such a compassionate manner. Maybe that was the reason she made him lose focus on the importance of his schedule. Luckily for him, the team leader of his security detail called out his name, returning his thoughts back to reality.