নয় 10 নয় (UPDATED 12/17/2023)

Cognac. The clear, pecan brown liqueur was warm and soothing going down. He picked up the glass of the cool brown liquid and took a couple of sips. The warmth racing from his mouth to his entire body was welcomed. As he enjoyed every sip, his mind wandered back to a beautiful plump face. From what he could see, she was a little darker than the warm brown color of the drink.

He wondered if she would have the same effect on him as the drink in his hand. Dark brown eyes and juicy chocolate brown lips were all he could see. She wasn't like any woman he knew. Indie's voice was warm, sweet, and something much more that he couldn't quite identify. He could always hear her playful voice.

As Scott lay his head back on the bed and closed his eyes, he envisioned her laughing. If anyone ever asked him what the worst day of his life was, he would easily refer back to the day he fucked up. He was so close to marrying the love of his life. He was one of the youngest most successful businessmen in America. He never went after anything without acquiring it.

At this moment, the only thing he could think of was something his father used to say all the time. If you study long, you study wrong. The true meaning of those words hit him in the chest when he realized that she would've said yes if he had just asked her. The anger in her eyes betrayed the feelings she must've carried for a long time. She never pressured him about anything. Now he understood that she must have suppressed her own feelings for him, so they could remain friends.

Even though he drank nearly the entire bottle of cognac, he wasn't drunk. He felt nothing but numbness. Indie was right there in front of him every day suffering through her heartache for him and he was too self-centered and stupid to realize it. Every time she flirted with him. Even the few times she kissed him on the cheek. They were all her little ways of expressing how she really felt for him, but he totally missed it. She could be right here in his bed. They could be making love right now. She could be calling out his name as he filled her up over and over again. His worries about family and money turned him into a blind fool.

Scott jumped up hastily and stumbled. He looked back at the bed and remembered how she looked the few times he spent the night at her place. He saw the curve of her hips. The lack of space between her thighs. The idea that no man had ever been there excited him. He got so excited dreaming about being her first and only. Just the thought made him unbearably hard. He couldn't breathe. Desperately, he wanted the pleasure of taking it slow to keep from hurting her. The first time he made love to her would be special. All of that was gone. The image of her lying in bed disappeared.

He really fucked up by not asking her to marry him when it first came to mind. Scott curled up in a ball on the floor and cried until he fell asleep.

মর্ম

Indie was so angry at him. How could he do this? Why now? Why freaking now? Indie gave up any hope of them being in a relationship four months ago. When she just knew he would ask her to marry him, it was a beautiful day at the beginning of spring. There was still snow on the ground and it was cold. Her body was blushing all over. Scott said he had something really important to tell her.

He told her to put on her prettiest dress and then later on that day, a package arrived. That crazy guy bought her a beautiful emerald green dress, gold red bottom stilettos, and a matching gold clutch. All the price tags were removed. She dressed up looking like Cinderella and waited for him to pick her up. He complimented her on how beautiful she was and she smiled like a kid all the way to their destination.

The trip took a little while. Soon they stopped when they reached a nice restaurant on the Upper East Side. The neighborhood was where the Crème de la Crème lived. They went to a really fancy French restaurant and just when she thought he would pop the question, he explained to her that he got a big promotion and wanted her to go to the Bahamas with him. She remembered being so disappointed that she lied and said she had a project to complete. After that, she never fantasized about a relationship between Scott and herself again.

Later, he called multiple times asking if he did something wrong. Indie did everything in her power to let him know all was well. She spent a lot of time crying by herself, but she smiled and behaved as if everything were peachy keen in his presence. She managed to focus her mind on a few seasonal landscapes.

When she stopped pining over Scott, Indie began to work in her studio loft until the wee hours of the morning. She felt a wave of energy on the day she made a vow to never focus on him like that again and tried to remain as upbeat as possible to channel the positive burst. She wasn't sure exactly what caused the flow of energy coursing through her veins. Even before she painted the six pictures, it was as if something were priming her for what was to come. She felt like she touched a battery and got a jump start.

মর্ম

How could he lose her? Scott could not let her go. He had to figure out a way to get Indie back. Every moment he spent away from her was a special kind of torture. He saw her face over and over again in his mind. The look in her eyes when she realized that he wanted to marry her tore him apart. She was genuinely hurt. If he had just been brave enough the many times he tried to propose to her, she was ready to say yes.

Finally, he realized why she stopped talking to him for about two weeks in March. Dammit. No. No. NOOOOOOO!!!!! He was going to propose to her then and he chickened out. She was ready to say yes. His own brain hit him with the realization. She would be his wife if he had just followed through.

Scott wanted to die. Why did he do her like that? It never occurred to him that she wanted him as much as he wanted her. She spent all her free time with him. Never did she let him down if he requested she attend an event with him. Her heart was wide open and willing to do whatever he required. Unfortunately for him, he was such a stuck-up idiot. He didn't realize that she was probably more in love with him than he could ever imagine. Not listening to his first mind, he let her down hard by not proposing to her.

The day was completed and every muscle in his body ached. A headache was forming behind his eyes. He knew tomorrow would be an equally long day. Business meetings, conferences, and business deals were his only concerns for the next week. Everything must be completed according to schedule before he flew to Houston, Texas. His company and his family relied on him to be highly successful. He had to focus and try to stop thinking of her.

Scott was not giving up on her, he would have to figure out something soon.

মর্ম