পাঁচ 5 পাঁচ (UPDATED 12/17/2023)

PROPHECY

"I'm from India. I grew up in West Bengal state where my parents retained their Hindu cultural and religious beliefs which had been handed down through the generations. When I was born, a Sage came to my ancestral home to share with them that he had been visited by Angiras." He paused.

Indie's posture eased as she listened to his words.

"Angiras was believed to be a mediator between man and the gods. He said a woman who walked with the sun was created to be my soulmate. The Sage explained to my parents that a day would come which would alter my destiny. On that day, I would either meet the person who was fated to walk by my side throughout the ages. Should I focus my eyes on the light instead of the soul, we would miss one another for all eternity."

The words he spoke gained Indie's full attention as Vijay recalled them from a place of disembodiment. He spoke to her standing there with her, but his eyes were far away as he continued.

"The wise one also explained that if for any reason my soulmate and I did not cross paths, my life would take a different yet difficult turn. The Sage further pointed out that should the gods allow us to meet, no force would be powerful enough to separate us."

Once those words were spoken, Vijay's eyes held Indie's with more sincerity than she ever believed was possible.

Desperate to break free of the gaze, Indie dropped her eyes to see that she was gripping her own hands.

+++++++

She understood what he was saying. Something deep inside told her what he said was true. A wave of energy hit her, and she fell down to the floor. No sound. No sight. No voice. It was dark. No, there was no light. Darkness could be measured to some degree because of the small amount of light that was illuminated in the dark. This was pure black. Void of color. Indie felt tears rolling down her cheeks even though she couldn't speak or see anything.

Don't cry Betee. You are blessed, and you are loved. Your life will change at this moment if you choose. You can walk away from this man and never see him again or..... you can accept him. As he was created for you, you also were created for him. The choice is yours alone.

The voice was gone. Indie's head was on his lap. Vijay was calling her name but for a moment, she couldn't hear him. She saw his lips moving and made out that he was saying 'Indie'. Soon her senses returned.

"Indie. Indie." He said her name as he shook her. The look in his eyes made her smile. He looked like a scared little boy. Indie sat up.

"Are you ok?" The question was laced with concern and great anguish.

"Yes, I'm fine." She got up and sat on the chair. Vijay looked at her with strained regard. Things were becoming more and more paranormal every time she came in contact with Vijay. Maybe the voice was right. Maybe the reason they were experiencing all these strange occurrences had to do with something bigger than them. Something cosmic. Indie thought about the paintings and she decided to see what Vijay's reaction would be to them.

"Did you drive here?" She asked.

"No. I have a driver." He replied looking at her with a question on his face.

"Let's go," she said as she grabbed his hand. Indie picked up her bag and her keys as they headed out the door.

"Where are we going?"

"To my studio. Where is your car?" Indie continued to pull him. Vijay would normally not allow anyone to treat him in this manner, but he could not say no to her. She gave the driver the address and when they pulled up in front of the studio, Vijay realized the studio was only one block from the place where they first met.

The car stopped, and she pulled him from the car. Upon entering the studio, he could feel noticeably refreshing energy. Indie pulled him into the area where she had been working on her paintings. When Vijay saw the paintings, he was stopped in his tracks. He could see the Hindu gods and goddesses undulating throughout the room.

Vijay fell to his knees. He had not observed or practiced his religion since he became an adult. For years, he identified with the culture when necessary, but he was not devoted to Hinduism. The paintings touched his heart. They spoke to his soul and he immediately repented for neglecting his birthright. Tears were streaming from his face as the overwhelming feeling of absolute understanding and peace touched him.

"Who painted these?" Deep emotion saturated each word.

"Me." She stated simply.

Vijay looked at her. Even though it was difficult for him to understand the apparent connection between this woman and himself, he had no doubt that she was as the sage had once told his parents. She was the reincarnation of the goddess known by many names. The goddess was Yamuna, Yami... Kalindi. Indira Kalindi Gray was indeed the goddess Kalindi.

He stood and softly placed her hands in his hands. He kissed her palms. The blessings pouring from her hands were strong. He felt her energy. Vijay placed her hands on his face. He felt rejuvenated. Renewed. Their closeness was too much for them to ignore. Vijay pulled her closer. His lips lightly caressed hers. Indie felt as if she were floating in the clouds. His lips gave her an unspeakable high. He kissed her neck and her shoulder. Vijay never felt a need as strong as what he felt at this moment. The touch of her skin and the taste of her lips made him feel as if he were in paradise. Indie stopped him as he attempted to slide the strap of her dress down.

"Wooo... wait... wait... wait." She stopped him.

"Oh my god. I am so sorry. I've never done anything like that before. I just couldn't stop myself." He put his hands together and begged her forgiveness. Indie knew he meant what he was saying. There was an intense aura in the room. Vijay walked close to each painting and examined them closely. They were divinely amazing. He was affected so deeply he could feel and hear his heart beating.

"Have you decided what you will do with your paintings?" He questioned as he carefully examined each of them. They were abstract and yet the vision drew your eyes to the aesthetic meaning. There were six paintings. Creation, Prosperity, Protector, Supreme, Transformation, and Wisdom were the names of each painting.

"Indie, can I buy these from you?" Vijay turned and looked at her. The intensity in his eyes was frightening and alluring. It never even crossed her mind what she would do with the paintings. First, she would have an exhibition and then she would decide.

"I plan to exhibit them along with some of my other pieces before I sell them," the answer was spoken in a hushed tone.

"I understand, but I would really love to purchase these and take them home. They seem like they belong in India. Have you ever been to India or studied Buddhism, Hinduism, or Jainism?" The questions were pressing in his mind. How could she paint these images unless she studied Indian cultures and religions?

"No, honestly. I was shocked when I stopped painting. It felt as if a force had taken control of my body. I was painting and feeling a burst of light coursing through my veins. Images were flashing in my mind and I just painted them the way I felt them. I'd never seen so many four-armed and four-headed people. I could see them, and I just painted the way I interpreted what I saw."

Vijay felt the air leave his chest. He realized that he stopped breathing and he had to sit down. This was completely unreal. She was a complete stranger he knew nothing about his culture or his religion. She was an African-American woman. She was an artist. He was sure she did not practice his religion and yet she was the reincarnation of a goddess. The weight of a ton of bricks pressed on his mind. He stared at her as she touched each painting. He could see a faint glow on her skin.

Why couldn't he stop thinking about touching her? Instantly, a vision of her lying in his bed at home flashed before his eyes. Satiny brown sun-kissed skin. Her thighs around his waist. Her arms embraced him as her lips caressed his chin. Her tummy pressed against his. Oh god. He was panting. She was still entranced by the paintings and he was making love to her with his eyes. Vijay knew he had to take her home and make her his. He wasn't sure how she would feel about his next request, but he had to figure out a way to convince her to leave the US and go to India with him. He must have his parents' approval, but they would never consent without knowing who and what she was.

মর্ম