Prologue

Two figures entered the chill cave. Maroon velvet cloaks protected the pair from the rain just enough for them to arrive dry. Not too far from the cave, the city slept as night droned on. Not these two; though luxurious beds and warm fires awaited them back home, one could not rest when work must be done.

The taller figure, a middle-aged man with light blond hair neatly combed into a hairtie, removed his hood. Keeping clear of the dripping water from natural holes in the cave, the man crept forward with careful feet. Though the cave was not long, the darkness did not help illuminate the path to the lone pool at the end.

Behind him, the other figure followed suit and removed her hood. She shook out her chin-length brown hair, running her fingers through the damp strands. Though she clicked her tongue in disapproval and scowled, no complaints escaped her mouth. She wrinkled her nose at the wet, foul smell emitting from the cave around her, her mousy face scrunched up as she crossed her arms.

Paying the young woman no mind, the older man knelt on the wet ground before the pool. She stepped closer, hovering near the wall and maintaining a couple of meters between them. A larger hole above them allowed moonlight to bathe the water, which rippled as rain sprinkled into it.

The man pulled up his thin sleeve to expose most of his right arm, before lowering it into the water. Shallow and small, the pool appeared harmless to most; most days, that proved true. However, this would not be one of those days, not for him.

He muttered words his companion did not understand. Initially warm water grew hotter, but he did not flinch. Even as the burning water began to climb his arm, sinking into his skin, he refused reaction. Hot water crawled up to his elbow, swirling around the limb in thin strands.

Once they settled, still burning, a figure began to rise from the pool. Water resisted gravity again as the middle of the pool took shape as the upper body of a woman. Despite her figure remaining clear water, the shape of it allowed simple definition to hint at eyes and appendages. Large drops of water fell from her head in streams, mimicking hair. Still near the wall, the human woman grimaced at the unsettling image of the Oracle.

Smiling, the older man gave a curt nod at the figure. "Greetings, Oracle."

When she spoke, her voice reverberated around them, sounding too clear for water to be capable of. "Lord Xuun. To what do I owe this pleasurable meeting? Same as last time? And the time before that?"

The man, Xuun, stilled his face from showing any signs of vexation. "Not quite."

Her teasing tone served to make both humans uncomfortable, but neither spoke. "Truly? Do I honestly get to answer questions other than the ongoings of Ehvera? I must admit to being tired of gossiping over that kingdom."

"Not to worry; I have a different topic in mind."

"Splendid!" With an ironic giggle, the Oracle made to clap her hands together, but nothing came from it. Not that anyone expected anything, rather.

"Quite." Xuun kept his tone level and pleasant. "Instead, I wish to inquire on the happenings of our southern friend, Fumari."

Despite the improbable nature of the action, the Oracle scoffed in disgust. "Have you forgotten my element, Lord Xuun? I refuse to speak of the fire kingdom."

Behind him, the woman let out a short laugh. The Oracle gave no indication of hearing her.

"You refuse, yes," Xuun continued. "Yet, that is not to say you cannot."

The water boiled hotter, but Xuun repressed the wince of pain.

"The Fire Oracle is no friend of mine," the Water Oracle stressed. "But you, Lord Xuun, are regular enough that I suppose I can do this one favor, if only to stop you from seeking her guidance over mine."

Once again, the woman chuckled, but her humor continued to go unacknowledged.

The Oracle began. "Fumari shows signs of unrest, not unlike your own kingdom, might I add."

"If you would remain on topic, that would be lovely."

If water could roll its eyes, she would have. "King Azak is increasing his defenses. His nephews have left the kingdom. His daughter is pregnant."

Before she could go on, Xuun interrupted. "Where have his nephews gone?"

"Oh, of course you would ask that. Lords Yzuan and Yras have begun the trek to Ehvera, your favorite place in the entire world."

Ignoring her mocking, Xuun nodded. Just as he thought. "Have you knowledge of why they've left for Ehvera?"

She shrugged. "There was a rider. The contents of his letter are unknown to me, but I suppose it regards that mage you're always on about."

"You suppose?"

"As I said, I have no knowledge of the letter's contents. However, your honing in on the topic leaves me wondering why you bothered to ask. Clearly, you already knew." She crossed her arms over her chest, voice lowered with agitation.

Xuun smiled. "I had an inkling. Thank you, Oracle. Your confirmation is most appreciated."

"Anything else I can remind you of, Lord Xuun? Must I also tell you that it rains in Panjuun? Or anything else you already know?"

"That will be all, thank you." If her words bothered him, he let not a hint into his voice.

With a frown and a huff, the oracle collapsed into the pool. The water splashed the walls of the cave, releasing Xuun's arm in the process. As he stood up, not bothering to brush his stained pants of mud, he remained quiet as the water trickled back into place. It was not until the water reverted to stillness that he turned away from it.

The woman moved to his side. "She's right, you know."

Not looking at her, Xuun lifted his hood and walked towards the entrance. "You misunderstand, Meirr."

She clicked her tongue. "I don't see how. All she did was confirm what you already knew."

"Not quite." At the entrance to the cave, rain continued to pour. The capital city of Panjuun, Queto, was barely a kilometer away. After all, the cave they stood in was just at the outskirts of the forest. He turned his smile on Meirr, who copied him and pulled up her hood. "It is not the information I needed, but the circumstances surrounding it. Nature oracles seldom do not know the happenings of humans. Yet, whatever Ehvera and Fumari are planning, our dear friend remains ignorant. What does that tell you?"

She looked away with a frown. "Everything Ehvera does is a secret, though. I don't see why this is so different."

"Ehvera is not a secret to nature. Whatever their king is planning has escaped the Oracles' ears. Do you know what that means, Meirr?"

"We're going to Ehvera, aren't we?"

He looked away, over at the tree their horses remained tied to. His smile grew. "Let me speak to King Itheir. But yes, I have no doubt you are correct."

Though she groaned behind him as they stepped into the rain, Xuun twitched with excitement. After years of silence, it was time to return to the Kingdom of Ehvera.

The Gem of Life awaited.