21. Foreign Ground

The terrain flattened long before Ahlnar, capital of Fumari, loomed on the horizon. The troop left behind various cities while venturing further and further into the heart of Fumari. Yras contained his excitement when riding through Yehen and Zamji, but now that they had arrived at Ahlnar, he could not hold it in. He was home.

The capital city of Fumari bustled with life. Markets with all sorts of trades lined the flat streets. People conversed and strolled, at peace in their warm kingdom. Homes needed no extra foundation to stand upright. The cloudless sky proved the finishing touch on a beautiful day in Fumari. Natives of Fumari had dark skin, but migration was common so not all citizens shared that complexion.

Despite the serenity, the National Patrol walked among the people. Yras saw no cause for alarm, and no one showed any sign of wariness at their presence. It was no surprise; he knew the king had planned on increasing national defense, but it vexed him all the same.

Up ahead, the grand palace of King Azak Muhnad stood. It was not as tall as Ehvera's castle, but it did stretch wider. Only one gate separated it from the citizens. Nobility housed themselves in various places throughout the cities, rather than all together within the castle gates like in Janheim.

They were not here to visit the palace, however. Their final stop was one such house of nobility. Every city had a duke or duchess commanding it, and Ahlnar was no different. The Duke of Ahlnar was none other than Ahfras Muhnad, Yras' father.

The people around them began to stare with interest. Their gazes were not cold and worrisome, suspicious of their presence. Instead, they were smiling at the sight of Yras and Yzuan, some waving with cheer. Ehvera's presence among them went unknown, given that all sign of the other kingdom was kept hidden in the carriage. Though it was decorated in an Ehverian fashion, the exact description of it was not a wildly known one. There was no royal seal or otherwise Ehverian touch to the carriage besides its colors. Eske had returned inside every time they rode through a city, leaving possible conversation after that glorious night minimal. Now that they were in the capital, Eske had once again retreated into the carriage to be out of sight. Even the guards that rode with them removed any sign of Ehvera from their person in order to keep under the radar. Though foreigners garnered no special attraction from the locals, Ehvera had always been a different case.

For the most part, the Fumarians went along with their normal routines and activities, leaving the arrivals to make their way home. Other than brief excitement and greetings, nothing warranted surprise or fanfare.

The sandstone walls of Yras' home blended in with the normal architecture painting the city. Decorative banners hung along the outer walls, a splendid blend of colors. Fumari had no official color to recognize it by. Instead, they flew all sorts of colors for different occasions. Yras himself found it hard to imagine living in a place without the loud and bright colors surrounding him.

His excitement teetered on bursting as they entered through the gates and onto the Duke's land.

Inside the carriage, Eske did his best to refrain from looking out the window. He kept it closed, curtains pulled shut, only light sneaking through the rough fabric. Opposite him, Ollyah had pulled it back a few times to glance out, but she never exposed the window entirely.

He kept his gaze down, hands in his lap twisting around each other. He could feel his heart pounding, anxiety rippling through him. This was it. This was the moment Bohjin had planned. What would happen when they stepped out? Would people swarm them? Would they stare in disgust or intrigue? Would they fixate on him?

Eske looked up at the window. If he pulled the curtain away, what would he see? He knew what the rural land looked like from his time outside, but he never got a close glimpse at the cities when they trotted through. Interest pulled at Eske, but he fought it back as one terrifying thought plagued his mind.