9. Unity

With the Unity Festival just five days away, setup already began. Ollyah left the inner castle in the morning, relieved to feel the warm weather on her face. Her robes were long, flowing around her as she took the path that led from the castle to the fairgrounds. Two of her guards trailed behind her, giving her the space she often requested of them. She knew they held no comfort in the distance, but there was little to be done about it. That is, unless Bohjin complained again.

Closing her eyes and letting out a relaxed exhale, Ollyah slowed her step. With barely a cloud in the sky and the sunlight beaming down on her, she wanted to enjoy the outdoors. Leaving the castle behind on days like this, she forgot why she hid away so often.

But then she remembered her mother, and the enemies ambushing her in the city gardens.

Ollyah's eyes snapped open at the thought, smile dimming. Times may change, motivations may shift, but not enough to set her at ease. Perhaps Bohjin was right, and she should keep her guard closer to her person. That was silly, however. It was not in her nature to hide from death.

Death was her friend, after all.

No, it was not the inevitable attack she dreaded would come. Her self-isolation derived from a different act of malice. There was power in death, and she would be a fool not to see that. Her mother's ambush brought with it an alternate source of fear. It was not the ending, the murder, that struck a chord with Ollyah that day. Instead, it was a repeated notion she had first noticed when Eske was kidnapped.

Distrust.

People in the castle helped orchestrate Eske's capture. Different people, years later and without any foreign aid, turned on their queen and broke their family once more. Despite both conspiracies leaving the mortal plane, there were always new ones cropping up.

Throwing a glance over her shoulder, Ollyah acknowledged the guards focused on her. Don and Jove had been her most trusted guards for years. Most trusted. It would be her turn one day to be betrayed. Ollyah could not allow herself to trust anyone that had reason to turn on her. Guards, servants—they were there for the job, not the person. No matter how long they worked here, none of them felt personally obligated to serve the royal family.

When Ollyah arrived at the fairgrounds, she was not surprised to see tents laid out to be set up and workers mapping out the land. She did not plan to involve herself in the rough work, but someone needs to oversee progress. This is the Unity Festival, a sacred ceremony. Only the best must come from this, especially with foreign guests here to witness it.

"Remember to leave room for the guards to keep watch on the forest."

Ollyah turned her head towards the source of the order. Not too far from where she stood on the edge of the fairgrounds, Rime looked over a map with the head of festivities, a noble named Vonjin. The lord was middle aged, hair thinning and body short. He prepares nearly every event Ehvera hosts, to his enjoyment. Though he directs the preparation, Rime has ultimate say in how everything is done.

Part of Ollyah's surprise is taken by Eske's presence alongside the pair. She found she should not be, but recent events made her conclude he would be more reserved than usual. Yet, there he was, outside and associating with people.

Ollyah was already smiling as she approached the group, but the sight of all of them made her grin wider. Rime noticed Ollyah as she strolled over. Not for the first time that day, she wished she had pulled her hair back with her usual ornate hair piece, what with the wind in her face, but there was little point in going back now that she was where she wanted to be.