32. Nevermore

Too much.

Too much, too much, too much.

Eske felt the energy writhing beneath his skin, jittering around like insects. It was too much, all of it too much. He needed to get rid of it, to dispel it from his body.

But where—

He stopped disassociating once called back by the threat he became to Ollyah. She was too weak, barely awake. The only person still standing strong ended up being the one person who least deserved it.

Because Xuun had the pendant. He had the gem. He had his gem.

"Something you wanted to say, my dear?" Xuun said, looking down at Ollyah with that casual superiority Eske loathed.

But Ollyah

He needed to give her more strength. He needed to get rid of his surplus of energy. He could do this. He did this every year at the festival. Just calm down.

Calm

Down.

Breathe

And release.

Too fast. He stopped himself seconds after he began as Ollyah jolted from the hit of strength returned to her. They locked eyes, and her shock turned to worry. Was she worried for him or herself?

His action bought him Xuun's attention. With how cognizant Eske currently behaved, it finally seemed to worry the man. "Changing your tune? I thought you'd never use your powers intentionally like that."

Xuun crossed the distance once again, kneeling just in front of Eske. "You can't hurt me right now." Xuun held the gem up with arrogance. Eske leaned as if to grab it, but even if his hands hadn't been tied back, Xuun had pulled his arm out of reach. "Now, now, Prince. Behave yourself." Eske coiled inward at the tone and phrasing.

Xuun leaned closer, lowering his voice to a whisper. "Itheir missed you."

"We need to get moving."

Eske recognized the voice as Allek, but his attention did not waver. Itheir. Xuun pulled away. But Eske could not stop lingering on that name. Itheir had been the only person who spoke to Eske directly. Itheir had been the only person who seemed at all interested in Eske's health. But all these years later, and he doubted the sincerity of any of it. Itheir could have been serious about wanting to help, but he also could have been lying. They had not spoken once since then, and Eske was fine to leave it in the past.

But Xuun always had to bring things into the present.

Eske turned his eyes to the body lying on the cave ground. If he turned and reached out, he could touch it. Did he want to? He feared he would find no pulse on the man. He feared it had happened again.

Low murmuring drew his attention back to Xuun and Allek. The latter of the pair had his arms crossed, figure imposing in the dim lighting. From the way he stood, Eske guessed he was blocking Xuun's path. Odd, given the urgency in his words spoken seconds ago.

When Allek raised his voice, Eske got his answer. "We're not moving until you deal with him."

"The Prince won't be a bother to you," Xuun assured, but Allek did not move a muscle. He did not tear his gaze away from Xuun, not even to look at Eske, the supposed threat. Xuun's smile looked strained. "I understand your concern, but he's too scared to use his magic again."

That made him flinch. It's true, he thought, looking back at the body. That could've been Ollyah.

But it wasn't.